Menu

"Bright Lights" and Sarah Mally

ChemMommy

We've been invited to join a "Bright Lights" group. Should my warning lights be going on?? I think the mother who is organizing this is not aware of the connections this group has.  Or, am I wrong? Am I wrong to think that this group is part of the patriarchy groups?

Thoughts?

The name was very familiar so I googled it.  As I started reading about them, I finally remembered why I know that name.  The group seems to have an obsession with purity.  A friend of mine looked into them a few years ago and was not happy with how much it focused on purity.  It has been a few years but it was something like every 3-4 lesson was on purity and there was a purity conference.  

We attended a conference and decided we would be uncomfortable with joining a regularly meeting group because of the above (heavy emphasis on purity). That and the fact that Sarah herself, 26 at the time she led the conference, was rather infantilized - her manner and voice remained that of a much younger girl. There was nothing said *that one day* that I found overtly in error, but there was an underlying squick factor.

I wonder if she has ever married? She is certainly into her thirties by now.

We attended a conference and decided we would be uncomfortable with joining a regularly meeting group because of the above (heavy emphasis on purity). That and the fact that Sarah herself, 26 at the time she led the conference, was rather infantilized - her manner and voice remained that of a much younger girl. There was nothing said *that one day* that I found overtly in error, but there was an underlying squick factor.

I wonder if she has ever married? She is certainly into her thirties by now.

Sarah is now 34 or 35 and still waiting for her Prince Charming.   Her manner and voice are still as you describe. 

I read one of their books called Making Brothers and Sister Best Friends, and there was nothing questionable (or related to patriarchy) in the book. She had alot of practical advice. I also attended one of her sessions at a homeschool conference and there was nothing questionable in it either. That being said, the session I attended was about family harmony, not boy/girl relationships, so I don't know what she says about that. I did not find her to be infantile or immature in any way.

Well it depends. If you're an extremely conservative Christian, the type of person fine with the book Before You Meet Prince Charming, who thinks purity balls and the surrounding culture are something you might participate in, you'll be fine. If you're not this person, I don't think you're their demographic.

• 8 months later...
Guest Ilikedogs

We recently had a family join our church and they were looking for funding to start up this program . They told my daughters all about it and eve gave her a book. I read it and was appalled . Most of my homeschool friends love this book !!! Sadly we ended up realizing that we are the odd balls . I ended up with a very angry woman in my face yelling and screaming at me over this subject . Am I the only parent that researches people ? That reads the material  ? I am homeschooling 3 girls , two are teenagers . Now they have been told our morals are not the same as others . Just turning down this program has caused mayhem  in our lives .

We recently had a family join our church and they were looking for funding to start up this program . They told my daughters all about it and eve gave her a book. I read it and was appalled . Most of my homeschool friends love this book !!! Sadly we ended up realizing that we are the odd balls . I ended up with a very angry woman in my face yelling and screaming at me over this subject . Am I the only parent that researches people ? That reads the material ? I am homeschooling 3 girls , two are teenagers . Now they have been told our morals are not the same as others . Just turning down this program has caused mayhem in our lives .

Wow! Good for you.