Menu

our Favorites for Art Appreciation

Meljoy

It is A Child's History of Art. It has three topics, each having a three book set: one on painting, one on sculpture, and one on architecture. Every other lesson is a hands on project suggestion, but we don't do those. We only do the reading/learn about art lessons. I didn't find these books until later in the school year last year, so we did not complete the painting book. We'll come back to it eventually. Since I wanted to start the new school year "fresh" we started the Architecture book. Each set has a small textbook, an art card book, and a lesson manual. If my ds were artsy I would do the projects, too. They are by Hillyer, so if you like the writing style in CHOW, you should like these, too.

HTH

We have a desktop day-to-day calendar that came free in a box of stuff that I ordered from Rainbow Resource. There is a different piece of art featured on each day, with all the vital information about that piece. My kids love changing the page each day, and seeing what is the painting for that day. It is on our kitchen table, so we won't forget about it. Sometimes we talk about the paintings, but not always.

How to Use Child Sized-Masterpieces

Child-Sized Masterpieces

This is a Montessori-based art appreciation program; the top link is the "how-to" book, the bottom links to the art postcards. You can find this at other places besides Rainbow Resource, like Amazon. We have used it, and like it, but we haven't gotten it out in a long time. I plan to use this again, probably later this school year.

We love the "Come Look With Me" series. Even with my youngest being 12 now, we haven't outgrown it. And sometimes we find other good art books and just use them as if they were Come Look With Me -- look closely at one picture a week, discuss it, display it.

Also, the Sister Wendy book has been an excellent help whenever we are learning about an artist in our MFW history lessons, including the art history lessons in God and the History of Art.

Really, we learn about so much more than art -- culture, values, etc.

I need t make this short as keys are sticking n my keyboard- hard to type...

I love all th suggestions- checking them out -DS not artsy hmself (dos not like to do art)-I liked go fish game and books -What Makes a Degas ..a Degas & "Come Look With Me" series ...

-if program -I like the look of How to Use Child Sized-Masterpieces but wonder if too young fr DS

I like www.gardenofpraise.com but need smething NOT on computr for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions....

-if program -I like the look of How to Use Child Sized-Masterpieces but wonder if too young fr DS

It is supposed to be K-8, I believe. Or perhaps it was K-6?

The lower levels are certainly too easy for a 10 yo, but the upper levels (levels 6-8) might be more of a challenge, as they teach schools of art, timelines, etc. We've only done through level 5, so, I don't know yet how my older children will fare with the upper levels.