Menu

Sentence Diagramming Recommendations?

jar7709

My son wants to learn about diagramming. Apparently MCT's 4-level analysis is fine, but he actually wants to know about traditional diagramming, too. Homeschooled kids are weird, amirite? ;)

I never learned diagramming. I feel fine about my grasp of grammar and writing on the whole, but this is something I can't teach him at present.

Amy recommendations for books specifically about diagramming, for either (or both) of us? Not looking for another complete grammar program, otherwise. I did a search but didn't find a previous thread for this type of request, if I missed one please point me toward it. :)

Rex Barks by Phyllis Davenport

http://www.amazon.com/Rex-Barks-Diagramming-Sentences-Made/dp/1889439355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393592079&sr=1-1&keywords=rex+barks

Better Sentence Structure through Diagramming (book one seems only to be available used--for over $20!) but book two is at Rainbow for its normal price.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/029388/210ab4bee62b3063692d2698

Just for fun, you may wish to read

Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences by Kitty Burns Florey

"In its heyday, sentence diagramming was wildly popular in grammar schools across the country. Kitty Burns Florey learned the method in sixth grade from Sister Bernadette: "It was a bit like art, a bit like mathematics. It was a picture of language. I was hooked." Now, in this offbeat history, Florey explores the sentence-diagramming phenomenon, including its humble roots at the Brooklyn Polytechnic, its "balloon diagram" predecessor, and what diagrams of famous writers’ sentences reveal about them. Along the way Florey offers up her own commonsense approach to learning and using good grammar. Charming, fun, and instructive, Sister Bernadette’s Barking Dog will be treasured by all kinds of readers, from grumpy grammarians and crossword-puzzle aficionados to students of literature and lovers of language."

And a funny story -- I once found a copy of this book at a local thrift store. It was shelved in the pet section!

Regards,
Kareni

Just for fun, you may wish to read Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences by Kitty Burns Florey

"In its heyday, sentence diagramming was wildly popular in grammar schools across the country. Kitty Burns Florey learned the method in sixth grade from Sister Bernadette: "It was a bit like art, a bit like mathematics. It was a picture of language. I was hooked." Now, in this offbeat history, Florey explores the sentence-diagramming phenomenon, including its humble roots at the Brooklyn Polytechnic, its "balloon diagram" predecessor, and what diagrams of famous writers’ sentences reveal about them. Along the way Florey offers up her own commonsense approach to learning and using good grammar. Charming, fun, and instructive, Sister Bernadette’s Barking Dog will be treasured by all kinds of readers, from grumpy grammarians and crossword-puzzle aficionados to students of literature and lovers of language."

And a funny story -- I once found a copy of this book at a local thrift store. It was shelved in the pet section!

Regards,

Kareni

Yay! So glad to see this recommended, because it sounds like my favorite type of book, and I already totally bought it on a whim when I saw it on Amazon listed with the other diagramming books. :D If it makes me excited about learning diagramming even a little bit I will consider it a win. The things I do for my kids! ;)