Menu

How Many of Us Have Children entering the Logic Stage?

Homeschooling6

It seemed only yesterday that I was reading The Well Trained Mind for the first time and thinking I have lots of time before the Logic stage:lol:. My oldest was going to be a first grader at that time. Now he is 10yrs old and in 5th grade.

I have been reading my WTM book concerning this stage again and it's a bit overwhelming. Reading post here has really helped. I'm not the smartest cookie so the Logic stage seems kind of scary. Thank goodness for SWB's book and all your help.

How many of us have children entering the "Logic Stage"? I would love to hear your plans.

For starters I am going to have Josh go through "Teaching Students How to Read Nonfiction" and "Beginning Outlining".

We are going to combine MFW CtG with SOTW and KF. I plan to do all the reading in MFW but have Josh do SOTW & Kingfisher. Once he finishes with Beginning Outlining I will have him outline from SOTW and other books. After reading he can enter all the dates on our timeline. I'll also pick out what important dates he is to memorize this year.

• Grammar; R&S 5
  • Math: MUS Delta & Epsilon
  • Reading: Progeny Press but I'm not sure about this since he will be reading a lot more in History & Science.
  • Mind Benders starting with A1
  • Spanish and Greek Roots. I think I am going to start Latin in the 7th grade using The Latin Road to English Grammar
  • Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1 & 2
  • Science: Sonlight 5 (human body) I haven't got this yet and am still reading TWTM concerning this area.
  • Art: God & the History of Art (MFW)
  • Music going along with MFW

I hope I am covering everything.

My 10 year old is using a cyber charter for his "main" lessons, but we'll also be doing The Latin Road and various logic books.

Since I've decided to call my 5 and 6 year olds first graders, everyone will be working on the ancients together, and I'm *really looking forward to that.

I haven't picked up anything for outlining yet, b/c I want to look through his school LA program before I buy anything else.

Ds has always gone to regular public school, and I'm really happy to be bringing him home in this stage!

It seemed only yesterday that I was reading The Well Trained Mind for the first time and thinking I have lots of time before the Logic stage:lol:. My oldest was going to be a first grader at that time. Now he is 10yrs old and in 5th grade.

I have been reading my WTM book concerning this stage again and it's a bit overwhelming. Reading post here has really helped. I'm not the smartest cookie so the Logic stage seems kind of scary. Thank goodness for SWB's book and all your help.

Over here! Over here! :) And your quote above describes me exactly. My plans are in my signature.

I'm entering this stage for the second time. I'm reading from Kingfisher, et al this year, and he's reading from SOTW and outlining from it. I'm also using the Outlining guide to help him get comfortable with that, guiding him right now as we get started.

He's also outlining the intro sections from How Nature Works as I read through them.

We're doing a mythology study this year in depth and working on elements of literature.

We're also doing Mind Benders as an intro to logic this year.

Have fun as you enter this new, interesting stage of development!

We're starting Logic Stage here with my 5th grader in just a few weeks. I'm not changing too much in the way of curriculum, but I'm requiring a lot more independent reading with discussion afterwards.

The BIG change for this year is that my son will start volunteering an hour a week at the library. I want him to experience a lot of different jobs/lifestyles/bosses and so forth, so each year I will expect him to pick a place to volunteer. This year, I gave him the choice of the church office or the library, both of which I know have a great "leader" who will take the time to teach him & keep him busy.

I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how it's going!

We are, I know just how you feel. I've been thinking and feeling and reading the same things. We plan to follow the rec's in TWTM along with some remedial work here and there.

It's nice to know we're not alone on this journey, it's so wonderful to have this board and the more experienced moms to come to when we're feeling uncertain.

May we all have a great first year in the Logic stage. :)

Linda, you're doing fine! Sterling had already been WTM logic-stage-age for a year when I caught myself typing, "I don't have any logic stage kids yet . . . " and had to correct it! :confused:

How many of us have children entering the "Logic Stage"? I would love to hear your plans.

For starters I am going to have Josh go through "Teaching Students How to Read Nonfiction" and "Beginning Outlining".

We are going to combine MFW CtG with SOTW and KF. I plan to do all the reading in MFW but have Josh do SOTW & Kingfisher. Once he finishes with Beginning Outlining I will have him outline from SOTW and other books. After reading he can enter all the dates on our timeline. I'll also pick out what important dates he is to memorize this year.

• Grammar; R&S 5

• Math: MUS Delta & Epsilon

• Reading: Progeny Press but I'm not sure about this since he will be reading a lot more in History & Science.

• Mind Benders starting with A1

• Spanish and Greek Roots. I think I am going to start Latin in the 7th grade using The Latin Road to English Grammar

• Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1 & 2

• Science: Sonlight 5 (human body) I haven't got this yet and am still reading TWTM concerning this area.

• Art: God & the History of Art (MFW)

• Music going along with MFW

I hope I am covering everything.

Let's see:

Dd#1 is entering logic stage and I cannot tell you how many times I've read that section of WTM! :tongue_smilie:

• Saxon 6/5

• SWO finish E begin F

• R&S 5

• Christian Studie III Memoria Press

• SOTW vol. 1 w/younger siblings. Corresponding KF and sprinkle in some The Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller

• NOEO Science Biology II

• History and science related readings

• Latina Christiana II

• Various-critical thinking, logic, health, Reading Detective

• Attempting to find a good keyboard and piano lessons.

Oh and I joined Classical Conversations as if she doesn't have enough to do. You think I'll be revising this by the middle of Sept.? :D