Menu

Special physics thread?

Is there a genius :-) out there who is able to list and evaluate physics curricula out there there the way Dicentra did chemistry last year?

We are managing our way through chemistry but physics scares me even more. I know little about it (did not take in in high school or college). I also did not take trig or calculus either place, although DD is already about to finish calc. I do not live near a co-op and cannot afford an online tutor.

We do not want an honors or AP course. We just want the basics. I have thought about going with Apologia but would like to hear opinions. The Georgia Tech physics approach, as presented on EasyPeasy, looks like a really boring way to approach it (download and read this graph, that graph, this list, etc, etc). Plus it is honors or AP. We just don't want the extra work in a topic I am unfamiliar with and she doesn't absolutely need.

Has anyone used the Conceptual Physics from Kinetic Books (online)? What did you think?

Suggestions? A volunteer for a Physics thread?

My ds used Kinetic books conceptual physics back in 8th grade.   It is what made him fall in love with physics.  It is a great program, very engaging.  The only way I know to get a solutions manual is by enrolling in a single course through Kolbe and ordering one through them.   I think people have posted that when under a charter school that the charter can order one, but I don't know anything about that.

I think Dicentra mentioned recently that she was going to work on a physics thread. I hope I didn't just dream that. LOL! So keep your fingers crossed! :-)

I am a big fan of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (high school program). I plan to use it next year with a group of local kids that I've been teaching now for a couple of years. The ability levels in this group vary widely, so I picked CP to meet them in the middle. If a textbook was ever written to be just downright interesting, it is CP. Check it out...I think you will find it to be an excellent option for your situation.

There are several in this group who will go on to a STEM focus in college, so I will probably follow CP with an "advanced physics" the next year using Giancoli or the like. But for the remainder of the kids who are considering nursing, business, art, music, etc., Conceptual Physics is just right. It will be an enjoyable year after slogging through Spectrum this year with the same group!

Thanks for the info and the link to the thread.

Too bad about the Kinetic curriculum.Do you know the reason why it isn't available to homeschoolers? I see homeschoolers can do their math. Perhaps they feel the physics needs a "real" (haha) teacher to pull it all together?

I looked at Conceptual Physics and it does look interesting. DFD is currently waffling between wanting to be a pharmacist and wanting to be a caseworker with CPS. LOL. Yeah, I know. CPS isn't everyone's favorite but she was let down by several CPS workers and really, really blessed by another, so she thinks she might want to be a good force there. It would be sad to see all that math talent go to waste, but seeing as a couple of years ago, she wasn't sure she wanted a future at all, anything she wants to do is wonderful. 

But physics isn't really important for either of those paths.

Too bad about the Kinetic curriculum.Do you know the reason why it isn't available to homeschoolers? I see homeschoolers can do their math. Perhaps they feel the physics needs a "real" (haha) teacher to pull it all together?

It is pretty standard that publishers do not release the solutions manual or any other instructor resources to individuals. This has nothing to do with homeschoolers not being able to teach, but with publishers not wanting the solution manuals to fall into the hands of students - it is easier to check up on an institution. There are usually hoops to jump through; some publishers have more than other.

DFD is currently waffling between wanting to be a pharmacist and wanting to be a caseworker with CPS....

But physics isn't really important for either of those paths.

3-4 credit hours of physics at college level is a prerequisite for most pharmacy schools.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/admissionrequirements/Documents/School%20Admission%20Requirements.pdf

A good high school physics course will make the college class much easier for the students.

And then, chemistry is basically an application of physics, and pharmacy students have to take tons of chemistry. So, I would not call it "not really important".

I will start to work on one but it won't be for a few months yet. :)  I will also need the physics gurus of the board to look over the thread and make sure I've evaluated programs correctly.  I do have some experience teaching all sciences at the high school level (which is why I felt relatively comfortable doing the big bio thread as well as the chem) but I always feel better when experts in the field have given a thread the OK. ;)