Menu

Planning for high school - where to start???

My first child will be starting high school in the fall. I understand which subjects are required and how many credits of each, but where do I look to begin fulfilling these requirements? A few things I feel fairly certain about. She's really enjoying AoPS Algebra this year and wants to continue with AoPS. She is also really enjoy MP's Latin "Form" series (she's using 2nd Form this year), so she will continue with that. We are also using IEW and Analytical Grammar, so we will continue those.

My daughter loves history and lit, so the more thorough the better in regards to that.

Anyway, can you point me toward some good resources or past threads that might help?

Thanks!

Welcome to planning high school! :)

In this past thread, Could you point me to a list?, there are a number of ideas of what kinds of classes fulfill what kinds of credits.

For getting started with making a high school plan, check out the list of of past threads, all linked in the pinned thread, "Outsourcing, Online Classes, Tutors, Dual Enrollment, AP, SATII, CLEP -- links to past threads here!" The first page of that thread has a number of good past threads on getting started, books and resource ideas, and making a high school plan.

For ideas for specific curricula and resources for specific subjects, you might either do a search on those subjects, or post individual posts, each with a request for ideas for a specific subject. For example, it looks like you have Math and Latin taken care of, and half of the English credit. Looks like now you'll want to request suggestions for the Literature portion of the English credit, and ideas for History and Science. :)

To get you started, here's a thread for helping with making a Fine Arts credit, that has a link to a nice long thread with loads of ideas.

Also, there is the possibility of outsourcing at some point during high school as needed, or just to expand your DD's types of educational inputs:

- DVD lessons

- tutor

- podcasts

- co-op course or science labs

- 1 or 2 classes at a high school

- online course

- free open source classes / mass open online course

- dual enrollment

Enjoy your high school adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for the replies! I read many of the links.

I have read TWTM, but I've not looked through the high school section in great detail before since I didn't have a child of that age. Thanks for the tip. I will go back and read through that section soon.

My dd will also take Italian, but I'm not sure what that will include at this point. My husband is Italian, but we've always struggled with teaching the kids Italian since I don't speak it and he's not home enough to do teach them either. Right now she's working through Rosetta Stone. In time I hope to add in some Italian Literature and writing. She will probably go and spend a few months with her relatives there when she is a little older.

Lee Binz has terrific stuff (free ebooks when you get on her mailing list, free workshops, articles on her site, etc.).  Highly, highly recommend, just for how much you'll get for free.

Debra Bell has a book on homeschooling high school that goes through all your subjects with a helpful summary of options and why you'd approach them a particular way.  She's going to hit everything you're asking, so you might just get the book.

The easiest way to start, in the position you're at, is to make a *tentative* 4 year transcript.  Literally start a file in your word processor program and type one up!  And for all 4 years plug in your thoughts for each subject on where this could go.  It can even say things like "wacky self-designed history" or something.  Just get something on paper so you start to see how it comes together.  Most people are going to follow either credits (material covered) or carnegie units (time spent) or a mixture.  My dd made a leap in independence between 8th and 9th, and I assume you'd sorta like to see that given your happy little flock.  What I did was go through each subject and decide how we were covering it and make a syllabus.  Everybody has their way, but that was my way.  A lot of our stuff is sort of out of the box or unusual, not just picking up a textbook, so I wanted a way to quantify things and make sure she was accomplishing our goals and logging stuff without really stifling the stuff that we like to do more exploratory.  That works for us.  Then I sit down each week with her and make her weekly checklist.  She's the type who needs structure and needs to know the plan, so that works for us.  My main supervision with her is to make sure she completes her weekly checklist and that she logs her work on her syllabi.  Then at the end of the semester we'll go through those, see what she got done, and see if she needs to do anything during the summer to keep on track.  Nothing says you can't spread something over 4 years, totally agree.  My syllabi and logs let us do that.  You can have a PE log, for instance, and let her log and let the hours accumulate.

It's also reasonable and perfectly fine to do things more my overall feel.  If they worked on things every day for a year, mark 1 on the transcript.  If they did it 2-3 days a week for a year, mark 1/2.  If they did it every day for a semester, mark 1/2.  That kind of thing, not being nitpicky about hours or missing days or this or that.  Totally fair way to do it.  Nothing says you *have* to count hours.  Do what fits your materials and makes sense for your situation.

Btw, it also makes your life a little easier if you go ahead and think through how you'll assign grades as you do all that.  Lee Binz has some interesting comments, so again I defer you to her site.  Schools are going to want to see grades usually, even though they may not have a ton of impact.  It's just one of those things you can end up scratching your head about later.  I liked Lee Binz's approach.  She has an interesting approach for logging bits of things they do with post-it notes also.  Definitely sign up for her stuff!  :)

I have a 5 year blank grid (goes from Grade 8 to Grade 12) that I use to pencil in what I think we'll be doing in each subject for each year.  It helps me to see the big picture and to make sure that dd will have the prerequisites she needs for the courses she'll be doing later in high school.  I can email you a copy in PDF form, if you like, and you can pencil in your own stuff. :)