Menu

Fertility app?

Desert Strawberry

I have used Fertility Friend and am now using Pink Pad. I'm not thrilled with either.

We are avoiding. FF is too focussed on ttc. It makes me a little crazy.

I don't temp, and don't have super regular cycles. PP isn't accurate enough for me. It's consistently off by up to a week.

Is there a better app?

Is FF the most accurate?

Do I have to start temping? (Please say no.)

I never took my temp either and our method always worked. I just went by knowing which secretion meant ovulation, and gave a bit of a wider berth to that time than recommended (I wanted to be extra sure).

Yes, I have read the book, and I follow the Billings method. 

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billings_ovulation_method

FF is accurate, I just don't love the emphasis on ttc, because we aren't.

Pink Pad is really just for period tracking, and doesn't take other symptoms into account. 

I use the Period Log app but like a paper chart it is only as good as the information that you put in it. It gives you the spots to track any signs you want on the paid version which is like $3. I usually don't temp (though I would if TTC to see what was going on post ovulation) but that's because my ovulation signs are as clear as being hit by a truck. It's not geared towards TTC and it is more full featured than the period tracking apps I saw that lacked a spot to track cervical fluid, temps or even adjust your ovulation date from their estimate based on your cycle length.

The fertility window is an estimate based on the first day of your cycle and your average month. It is more accurate when you enter your period manually each day rather than estimating it. I don't go by their window though, I go by my signs and the data I entered. It doesn't default to cookie cutter estimates though either.

The developer has been really responsive when I wanted a small change so maybe that's something they could adjust.

That said, my cycles are pretty regular and we use condoms or other sexual activities when I am fertile so my needs for this app are less than they would be if I had irregular cycles or was abstaining when fertile.

I have a Kindle Fire. I think that will limit my options.

I know it's an estimate, and it's hard to estimate when it isn't consistent. I do go by my signs and symptoms, but it would be nice to have somewhat more accurate predictions for my peace of mind, kwim? I don't want to be surprised when I have certain things planned. 

I'm also hesitant to change because I know the programs "learn" with each cycle. Changing means starting over. Again. The learning curve seems very, very slow.