Menu

20th Century World History

This year we are studying US History with Notgrass America the Beautiful. My 7th grader asked me if she could go more in depth with WWII next year. I'd like to take her lead on this and find something for 20th century world history. But... what do I use?

Whatever we decide to do, I know I'll add in documentaries (her request). She's a strong reader and enjoys history.

My 5th grader says she'd like to do the same thing, though I'm not really convinced. :)  Ideas?

My 8th grader is combining the Idiot's Guide to the 20th Century and DK's Modern History in Pictures for 20th Century this year. I've enjoyed the combination.

My 5th grader is using the last books in the Hakim's History of US and SOTW 4. It's another line-up that's worked well for my family.

We are doing a lot of WWi and WWII right now and there are several threads with this theme.  Do a search and you might find some gems.  In hurry or I would link them and give you a list of resources but no time for all the ones I have seen.  Here is one, though...  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/505458-favorite-wwi-and-wwii-sources-for-8th-grader/

I wanted to mention that when DS (9) started studying WWII we discovered a HUGE link between the two world wars and a lot of great stuff about WWI that I never heard when I was in school.  What started as a couple of day quick study of WWI turned into a few weeks and we learned a ton.  Tying the two wars together, along with looking at the world in general during the early 20th Century made it all make more sense in the grand scheme of things as to why various things happened....we have had a lot of fun.

Do you want to tie in literature? We followed Sonlight's choices, with a few exceptions. Of course, it was not middle school.

Yes, I absolutely want to tie in literature. I do plan on using some SL books. I do have History Through the Ages, as well, so hopefully finding literature won't be difficult. 

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States documentary series for later middle school is excellent...the book goes more in depth, more suited to high school and up IMO -- even though it is US, it also deals with non US aspects of WWII etc.   By the time we got to it, we had already seen a lot on WWII so that some material was not new, which helped.