Menu

teen with depression

bettyandbob

I have a friend whose son has been in high school for 1.5 years and has no credits. He may have a credit of algebra from 8th grade. He has no LDs. His family went through a financial crisis and experienced foreclosure and eviction. He has been angry since. He was able to stay at his school for 8th grade, but due to moving had to go to a different high school than he would have. He developed a lot of health issues and was in and out of school and finished the year with no credits. He was permitted a placement at the previous neighborhood's high school and started the year, but went into asthma related issues again. Her doctor suggested homeschooling. She has to look at an online program because she cannot be responsible for planning teaching (she has 1 full time job, plus 20 hours at another), dad would not be able to teach. While I know of one program that might fit some of their needs, I am concerned that enrolling in something without addressing depression will just result in frustration--I think it is highly likely the child will not follow through with the work.

He used to do casual sports, most recently martial arts. He won't go. He seems to have dropped scouts. His parents and older brother have been involved in venturing, but he won't go.

1) can depression cause or exacerbate asthma

2) if you've dealt with it, how did you get your son to climb out of the hole and get through school

3) how did you find an interest

He's 15.5 . I haven't seen him in a couple years, but I do know from experience that when a male is adult sized and refuses to do anything it is really really hard to do anything.

Thanks for all your advice.

I am feeling very lucky that with all the problems oldest went through we never got into a hole like my friend's ds.

That sounds like a very serious depression. Has the family not consulted a psychiatrist? When it gets that bad professional help and medication are probably necessary to make a change.

I think the asthma meds can contribute to depression.

He might crawl out of it by helping other people, just a thought. But he might need something to get him to that point.

Interests can be found by providing different opportunities until something clicks.

It sounds like this kid is in a vicious cycle of depression/physical illness.  One exacerbates the other.  Just putting him in a homeschool program isn't likely to help him.  It's not magic. (I know you are not suggesting that, OP!)   Sounds like he needs professional help; a psychologist/psychiatrist combination would be a good start --> talk therapy plus meds if such are called for.  It might take a while to find a good therapist; the parents might have to be patient and go through a few before they find the right fit.  

One small comment, loss is interest is a sign of depression and unless the depression is treated, he will probably  not be able to find an interest. He also will probably not be able to "climb out the hole" without ongoing professional help.

Best wishes.

We just went through an extremely stressful six months, which landed someone in our family in the ER with stress-induced panic attacks. It looked like asthma.

I don't have any advice, but I went through depression as a teen after a foreclosure and eviction. The anger was so overwhelming, and my mom had no idea because I was bouncing around on couches of friends and family (transportation to school/activity logistics) and would sometimes go several days without seeing her. I really could have used counseling, and in my more honest moments, still could use help processing it.