Menu

University Model Schools: Tried one? Would you consider a classical one?

This is interesting, and I am bumping this with my general thoughts in the hopes that someone with more experience will chime in.

Our town is JUST opening one (maybe the same town!) and I have been trying to gather information. I really like the IDEA of it in some ways...but all the information I have found through a couple of books and websites is decidedly vague. Especially the one here in town.

Now I know that I is new, just taking off here, but still. And the more national websites with info are vague of course, because they will not have specific info regarding the school in your area. Add in the fact that there are two types (private Christian and public charter) and it gets murkier.

I do like the idea that it is two days per week, and parent involvement is so high and expected. But it IS still a school where the parents are given what they need to teach. So some accountability might be great for some people, and I can see the distinct benefits of an umbrella organization for sports, activities, etc.

But two things really stand out for me:

Everything I have read says that it is still grade-based...so all kids of a certain age are in the same class. The information touts the model as being fantastic for tailoring education to the child, but ESPECIALLY for a more homeschool-oriented family I do not see how this is so. Kids are all over the board more often than not: third grade math, 5th grade reading, etc...I guess I don't see this as fitting a 'true university' model. Maybe I am missing something? I would love to be wrong as whilst we plan to homeschool I am always looking for that perfect setup for my social kid. Working at our own level at home but attending a couple of days a week would be great for her.

Another thing that concerns me: I cannot find much AT ALL about specifics in curricula or standards. Very generic info regarding 'very rigorous' education...and that is all. I am not sure if this is because the schools themselves have more of a say? Especially since the model allows/supports the individual, albeit Christian, values of the specific school. If that is the case, I am a bit confused as to how those standards are set:(

Hopefully someone with some expertise will chime in and either correct me or clarify!

We have a UMS that is Christian & classical (private). My dd is in 1st grade and she attended for K as well. I had homeschooled ds for K and 1st when we decided to try it, and ds attended for most of 2nd grade last year. This year ds is home full-time. Ours was started by a handful of families 4 years ago and have managed to attract excellent teachers. There are currently 50+ students. It runs T/Th 8:30-3:30 for K-6 and M/T/Th for 7th & 8th. They're adding 9th in August. The hardest adjustment for me was accepting someone else's curriculum plans, lol. It turned out to not be a great fit for ds, who had trouble with changing classrooms for every class and has very delayed handwriting. The teachers were very understanding, but he felt badly not being able to keep up, and it created anxiety that fed many other issues. So he came back home full-time for 3rd and will stay home for 4th as well. I've learned it's best not to plan too far ahead. ;-) For my dd, it has been a great experience. She loves being around the other students and learns well (so far) in a classroom with the curriculum they use (see below). They use VP history and many of the literature recommendations through 8th grade. They also use some IEW, Saxon math, Classical Academic Press, Logos press, and other publishers and authors I recognize. Science for K-6 is done one Monday per month, a whole day devoted to a particular unit with activities at their grade level. On the lighter side, perhaps, but it definitely encourages the idea that science is fun, so I'm good with that. Grades 7 & 8 use Apologia. At this point we plan to send her back for 2nd grade.

For K and 1st language arts there are "enrichment" assignments for those who are reading and/or writing very well. For 2nd-6th they will place you in whichever math you test into, so you may be with students from other grades. For language arts they are with their grade. Each subject has an additional set of assignments available for students at each grade level who want to go deeper or do more of something. If they meet all the requirements they are recognized as having earned a scholarly distinction for that subject. The 2nd grade math projects for example included going grocery shopping with $10 and explaining the purchases and change, and running a lemonade stand (for friends or family). Literature included book reports done in any way they wanted. For Indian in the Cupboard ds made a longhouse and made a scene of it. So I think there is a certain amount of individualizing that can take place, more so than in a class of 30, but extreme exceptions (giftedness or delays) may or may not do well, it would depend on the personality I think.

The hardest thing for *me* this year has been having 3 kids in 3 settings (youngest attends special needs PreK for her speech). On harder days I start imagining having dd7 home full-time. Though if that were the case I would probably be running around just as much taking her to other activities to satisfy her highly social nature. This way at least she has art, music and PE included. :) Dd4 has one more year of PreK, then hopefully she'll either be home with me or at school with other dd, either way will be simpler.

What I like best is the community of like-minded families. From dozens of different churches across town, but all desiring a particular kind of involvement in their kids' education.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the information about what to do at home is sent via email and can be accessed through a website anytime, and teachers are extremely accessible to answer questions via phone, text or email.

Mine are in high school, but I have my eye on the local one as part of my post-homeschooling plans because it would fit with my other part-time gigs and get me back in the classroom with children.  I like their curriculum choices and the different extras and activities they do, and several "retired" homeschool moms I know are already working there.  They use a course management system that provides the details the parents need to cover the other 2-3 days of the week.  Currently they only go through middle school and are thin at that level, but the lower level classes are full.  They expect to continue to grow, and are sound financially with about 90 students.  They will have completed their certification by next school year.

It isn't something I would have done for my own children because they have needed individual attention in different areas at different times, but I can see the draw for accountability and social reasons. If it had been there with good-sized middle school classes when mine were that age, I probably would have considered it. Of course I'd look carefully at anything that is new -- who is in charge, how sound are they financially, where they are getting teachers, etc. etc.

This is interesting, and I am bumping this with my general thoughts in the hopes that someone with more experience will chime in.

Our town is JUST opening one (maybe the same town!) and I have been trying to gather information. I really like the IDEA of it in some ways...but all the information I have found through a couple of books and websites is decidedly vague. Especially the one here in town.

Now I know that I is new, just taking off here, but still. And the more national websites with info are vague of course, because they will not have specific info regarding the school in your area. Add in the fact that there are two types (private Christian and public charter) and it gets murkier.

I do like the idea that it is two days per week, and parent involvement is so high and expected. But it IS still a school where the parents are given what they need to teach. So some accountability might be great for some people, and I can see the distinct benefits of an umbrella organization for sports, activities, etc.

Everything I have read says that it is still grade-based...so all kids of a certain age are in the same class. The information touts the model as being fantastic for tailoring education to the child, but ESPECIALLY for a more homeschool-oriented family I do not see how this is so. Kids are all over the board more often than not: third grade math, 5th grade reading, etc...I guess I don't see this as fitting a 'true university' model. Maybe I am missing something? I would love to be wrong as whilst we plan to homeschool I am always looking for that perfect setup for my social kid. Working at our own level at home but attending a couple of days a week would be great for her.

Another thing that concerns me: I cannot find much AT ALL about specifics in curricula or standards. Very generic info regarding 'very rigorous' education...and that is all. I am not sure if this is because the schools themselves have more of a say? Especially since the model allows/supports the individual, albeit Christian, values of the specific school. If that is the case, I am a bit confused as to how those standards are set:(

Hopefully someone with some expertise will chime in and either correct me or clarify!

Thanks for your thoughts!

The website for the new one here is a little vague too, but I know that their curriculum committee is still working on the details.  Based on this, I think each school is able to make its own decision on curricula.  Here, also, the exact location hasn't been announced, but they have chosen to go with 3 days a week, except for K.  

Most of these schools that have enough enrollment allow kids to go up or down a level in language arts and math, so they may have a different teacher for one or two subjects.  Still not as custom as homeschooling though of course.   Curriculum is chosen locally.

In my state they're actually legally considered a private school, not homeschooling.  They don't file the homeschooling paperwork with the county that we do.

We have one near us that we would consider when things get more academic.  The one near us is more University model than the ones described here.  You can truly just sign your kid up for X class.  Or you can sign your kid up for all classes M-F like a regular private school.  

We are opposite how I think most parents are.  We can eagerly do Science, Math and Latin at home up to college.  But, Art will be someone else, and a Writing class would be nice, and maybe PE

We have one locally (classical UM). Unfortunately, it's very protestant and the SOF excludes Catholics, so it's a no-go for us, as we can't/won't sign it. I would give my right arm to have one around here that we COULD use though.

Sorry!  I think with this one, you sign that you acknowledge that instruction will come from their SOF, but you don't have to sign it for yourself.

We have one near us that we would consider when things get more academic.  The one near us is more University model than the ones described here.  You can truly just sign your kid up for X class.  Or you can sign your kid up for all classes M-F like a regular private school.  

We are opposite how I think most parents are.  We can eagerly do Science, Math and Latin at home up to college.  But, Art will be someone else, and a Writing class would be nice, and maybe PE

Dd currently takes art, writing, and PE at co-op (for a lot less $$).  :)

For me, the draw is that I will also have a senior who will continue to be homeschooled (using online classes and dual credit), and I'm nervous about doing 4th grade well while also learning everything needed for college scholarships, admissions, etc., on top of everything else (cooking, bills, a high schooler who recently started a full-time classical school, etc.)   I've homeschooled 4th grade well twice before, but there wasn't so much else going on.  ??