Menu

Anyone use or have used CLE LA and math?

abooke1

I am still trying to find *that* program that just clicks for our family.  I am finding that to be a difficult task!  Makes me feel like a failure sometimes too :(.

This is our first year with Classical Conversations and we LOVE it!  I can see us continuing with this through our homeschooling years, however long that might be.  I have two boys in it this year and will add another child next year.  My boys are 2nd and K this year and will have a Pre-K/or K daughter in next year too!  I am thankful we found this.  We really use this for our science and social studes/history, we don't add another curriculum in.  We can explore more of what we learn there at home! I love that we do it all together too, plus they love it!

I will start with math.  We have done McRuffy for K math and then switched to MUS for 1st.  I thought MUS was awesome for that year of learning the math facts- needed a little supplementing from me.  We started in 2nd with MUS and my son got really bored with it.  We switched back to McRuffy, while it's okay I just feel like it isn't the best for us.  Has anyone used CLE math?  Having 3 next year to teach plus a new baby in October (and toddler), as bad as it sounds I am wanting something not terribly teacher intensive.  I find McRuffy pretty teacher intensive. With 4 kids I find myself overwhelmed often.  My boys so far love math and catch on pretty quick.    Or any other suggestions?

I am looking for LA too, this year we have used McRuffy- though my oldest has struggled and we haven't been consistent in doing it :(.  We also tried Heart of Dakota last year- wasn't in love and with our Classical Conversations- didn't need it all.  I am ordering All About Spelling to do with my two boys who are 6 and 8.  I have thoughts of starting Writing with Ease as well, with the oldest.  My oldest struggles with phonics and blending, etc.  I am hoping that All About Spelling helps with that.  Thinking of adding CLE in there as well- maybe starting my 2nd back to beginning 2nd LA with CLE?  We will school through the summer, well LA and Math, those sort of subjects.  We've fallen just a little behind (well mostly just my oldest) and with a new baby want to give ourselves a little wiggle room just in case :).

I use CLE math and really like it.  It's easy to teach and then let them finish the review section independently.  CLE is spiral with lots of review, but the nice part is that the problems are varied within the review section.  I think the variety keeps it from seeming as long as it might.  My mathier ones might have been okay with a more mastery type program, but CLE certainly hasn't hurt them any.  My less-mathy ones definitely needed the spiral approach.   

For LA, if you're using AAS and WWE, I think I would use FLL rather than CLE.  I really like the way CLE is set up, but its LA is in all in one, so if you already have spelling and writing covered, I would consider using something else for grammar (maybe FLL), instead of CLE.  Plus CLE is phonics heavy in 1st and 2nd grade - it has LOTS of Schwa coverage and dictionary markings which may get confusing alongside AAS.  FLL 1 and 2 can get old - lots of repetition, so you could just focus on the English grammar memory work in CC until you get to FLL3.  FLL 3 is easy to use and very gentle and it will prepare your dc nicely for EEL if you decide to do that with CC. 

We're new homeschoolers, so I'm not really familiar with how it compares to other curricula, but CLE math has worked great for us so far. Like Another Lynn says, it is very spiral with tons of review. DD is a quick study and usually is able to do even the new sections on her own (but this might be more difficult for youngers, depending on how well they read). CLE only introduces one (sometimes two) small new concepts each day with just a couple of practice problems, followed by several pages of varied review. So even if you need to go over the new stuff, it doesn't take long, and the review can be done independently.

I personally think the spiral format is beneficial, especially at this level, when mastery of basic math facts is so crucial. But I will say that DD has gotten antsy in the past few months about doing so much review. To counter that, I have started assigning two lessons' worth of "new" material several days a week and the review just one day per week. It is enough to keep her skills fresh without boring her. If you have a quick math learner, that might be something you want to consider.

I don't have any experience with CLE LA. HTH!

I use CLE math and really like it.  It's easy to teach and then let them finish the review section independently.  CLE is spiral with lots of review, but the nice part is that the problems are varied within the review section.  I think the variety keeps it from seeming as long as it might.  My mathier ones might have been okay with a more mastery type program, but CLE certainly hasn't hurt them any.  My less-mathy ones definitely needed the spiral approach.   

For LA, if you're using AAS and WWE, I think I would use FLL rather than CLE.  I really like the way CLE is set up, but its LA is in all in one, so if you already have spelling and writing covered, I would consider using something else for grammar (maybe FLL), instead of CLE.  Plus CLE is phonics heavy in 1st and 2nd grade - it has LOTS of Schwa coverage and dictionary markings which may get confusing alongside AAS.  FLL 1 and 2 can get old - lots of repetition, so you could just focus on the English grammar memory work in CC until you get to FLL3.  FLL 3 is easy to use and very gentle and it will prepare your dc nicely for EEL if you decide to do that with CC. 

That is good to know, thanks so much!  I could drop AAS and WWE and do CLE as a whole program?  Do you use the CLE LA?  I also considered adding some Rod and Staff for LA or even if I used AAS?  Hmmmm.  I haven't bought AAS yet, but it's been recommended since my oldest struggles with spelling, he has problems spelling simple words often!  

We're new homeschoolers, so I'm not really familiar with how it compares to other curricula, but CLE math has worked great for us so far. Like Another Lynn says, it is very spiral with tons of review. DD is a quick study and usually is able to do even the new sections on her own (but this might be more difficult for youngers, depending on how well they read). CLE only introduces one (sometimes two) small new concepts each day with just a couple of practice problems, followed by several pages of varied review. So even if you need to go over the new stuff, it doesn't take long, and the review can be done independently.

I personally think the spiral format is beneficial, especially at this level, when mastery of basic math facts is so crucial. But I will say that DD has gotten antsy in the past few months about doing so much review. To counter that, I have started assigning two lessons' worth of "new" material several days a week and the review just one day per week. It is enough to keep her skills fresh without boring her. If you have a quick math learner, that might be something you want to consider.

I don't have any experience with CLE LA. HTH!

Thanks, that is very helpful!

I've tried to use CLE LA a couple times, but never finished a whole year of it.  But I think it's more lack of discipline on my part than anything else, lol.  I think sometimes it began to feel like it was moving too slowly, and maybe more detailed than I wanted.  And it took a lot of time.  I don't want to say I'm a grammar slacker, ha, but maybe I am.  I don't know, but with grammar for some reason, I prefer more of a top-down approach then an endless trek from tree to tree and never getting an aerial view of the whole forest.  R&S strikes me the same way - the biggest difference being that R&S is organized more as "mastery" approach, while CLE is spiral.  I can't give any personal experience regarding long term use and spelling improvement.  I think most of the phonics instruction is in 1st and 2nd grade and then at some point the spelling words are grouped by theme rather than phonics.  AAS might meet your need better.  I think there are several sample lessons for each light unit on their site, but it takes some time to look at a lot of them.  I have a hard time evaluating something until we actually use it, lol.     

I really like the independence and spiral review of CLE's LA. I do talk with ds a little bit about the lesson for the day, but it's only a few minutes. I do not use the penmanship or spelling and only a little of the writing. He uses other things for those subjects right now and did before I moved him into CLE, some of which is due to a co-op class. I may begin using more of those parts next year, though. 

I think CLE LA in the younger grades includes phonics. It might be difficult to switch over because of their markings and order of teaching. The diagnostic tests would give you an idea if CLE's methods match up with AAS. I've never used it, so I don't know.

I've used CLE Math; however, math is an area that spiral review frustrated ds. He gets math easily and wants to move on to more challenging concepts rather than do lots of problems he already knows how to do. He needed spiral in the early years, but I moved him into BJU math. 

If you need your children to have more independent work in those subjects, I don't think you'd go wrong with CLE. 

Thanks everyone.

I have wondered about my 2nd grader now.  I've thought that going back over 2nd grade phonics wouldn't be a bad idea.  He is a smart boy, it may be more my fault with where he has slipped behind that area.  I am at a loss for him!  

My current K'er I am thinking of doing CLE LA and do the AAS with us, so I could skip or do both spelling programs with him.

Yes, just my 2nd grader I am more struggling with here!

I would not use CLE LA until 3rd grade. Before then it's TONS of phonics - specific markings and such - which if you're kids don't know can be difficult and frustrating. I'd use FLL before then, too.

Really even if you start with 1st grade??  Or you would have to start with K??

I didn't look that soon - but if you start with it you should be fine. A workbook approach to anything would not have worked for my kids that young. I'd do phonics on the couch, math with them (we used horizons but CLE looks solid, too), and read a lot. As much as you can. And a daily bible time/awana/etc. That was our plan to 2nd-ish. We did a little copywork, read SOTW - but kept it light and fun. We really focused on reading and math. At 2nd we added in LA, science topics, etc.

Make it super easy on you - a good phonics, a math, and lots of reading. FLL if you want - its 90% oral and amazingly effective. Easy.

I have used CLE Math, LA and Reading for many years.  My boys have never not liked it or complained.  We have done other things also and try to mix it up for other subjects...but love CLE.  It gets the job done.  My middle one finished the 800 level in Math.  He is still using English 1.  We love everything about them - all the things already mentioned.