Menu

Half Size Binders

I bought a half size binder today. It's ridiculous that something smaller is more expensive. Sigh!

If you use half size binders, what do you use for paper and accessories?

My binder is wide enough for paper to be wider than the filler paper I bought. Is there 8 1/2 by 6 1/2 paper, instead of half size paper?

I'm thinking of sometimes just adding a folded piece of regular letter sized paper, and punching holes in the top of the paper. Is there anywhere online with a template for narrow lines that run horizontal?

I have seen half size plastic binders for pretty cheap at Staples.  You can get Avery dividers and I think half size notebook paper there too but it's really thin (but not positive about the paper).  I like to use the pocket folders and paper from Russell & Hazel; you can buy them online or see it at The Container Store.  More pricey but I like the brand and they have half size binders too.  I also print templates on heavier 8 /12 x 11 paper and cut the paper in half using a paper cutter.  I bought a 3 ring punch for half size paper at Staples.  You can also buy a nice pad of stationery or writing paper and just hole punch that too.  I love the paper pads Cranes used to make.  Not sure if they still make them.  I stockpiled a couple of years ago when they were on sale and still have some new ones.

I don't know if you live near a college but I was at UVA a year or so ago and was browsing their bookstore, they had quite a few half size notebook options/accessories.  I was surprised to see that. 

I'm a little nutty about paper.  :) 

I use this size for our "breakfast notebooks," and just created a template page on my own using Word. Most of my pages are non-consumable and designed for specific memory work (I laminate them so my dcs can write and erase with expos), so I made the pages larger than half size and threw the remaining scraps in the craft drawer after printing them out and cutting them. You could certainly create your own ruled paper the same way and design it perfectly to your liking; but if you plan to go through lots, the wasted scraps would be annoying. :-(

Will be tracking this thread to see if anyone has found a better solution!

Actually, I checked and I did buy a packet of half size lined notebook paper by Avery.  But that might have been at the UVA bookstore not Staples now that I think about it.  Maybe Amazon has it.

Amazon and Walmart.com have some half size Avery stuff. I can get sheet protectors and paper SO much cheaper in full size than half size. It's discouraging. Especially when I don't even like the colors and wish it were an inch wider and narrow ruled.

Filler paper is cheap on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Filler-Inches-Sheets-14230/dp/B004K6LHBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392689535&sr=8-2&keywords=8+1%2F2+by+6+1%2F2+paper

It is cheaper to print your forms on full size paper and then have Staples or Kinkos cut it in half for you and punch it with a small punch but if you are OCD like me you might not like it. I find they can never get my paper cut perfectly down the center so I end up with paper that is different sizes. It drives me batty. :)

When I was using half size binders I took a ream of printer paper to FedEx and paid $2 for them to cut the whole thing in half. Then I discovered that the three hole punch I already had could be adjusted to punch wherever I set the holes to. Super cheap and worked great. Plus the kids love the option of having smaller paper for drawing or whatever.

Some of my Crane paper is 6 3/8 x 8 1/2.  They are stationery sheets.  I use those for writing things I want to keep long term, like goals or even curriculum notes I might refer to in the future.  I don't think they make the pads anymore.  Most of my stationery is from when I worked part time in a stationery store ages ago.  You could look at a place like Hallmark and see what kind of letter sheets they have.  Lined letter sheets used to be easy to find, before email took over.

I bought a paper cutter from Michael's so I could just cut my own paper.  I like heavier paper to write on because I use fine felt tip pens, they bleed through thin paper.  The Avery paper linked to earlier is the same pack I have.  I don't use that much, it is like regular notebook paper.  If you write in a different kind of pen or pencil, it will probably be fine.  But the paper from Russell and Hazel is wider I think.  I guess it is expensive...I only bought one pack because the paper is a bit thinner than I like.  I've been using up my stash of Crane paper instead.  I also bought a ream of really nice paper from paper-papers.com and I print templates on it and cut it to the size I want.

You could search the internet for different kinds of stationery...but heavier paper is more expensive and European stationery has different dimensions too I think. 

I put a plastic adhesive pocket on the inside of my R and H binder and I put my to do list there.  I use large index cards from Walmart for to do's...thick paper and cheap. 

I use a half size binder as my teacher binder. It has the weekly schedules, notes on a "typical lesson" for things like WRTR and SOW, and a list of lessons so that I can mark the date that we've finished a lesson in "to-the-next-thing" style curriculum. I have half size Avery pockets as dividers. I make my own pages in word and Excel, setting the paper size to 5.5x8.5 in the custom paper sizes. Then, when printing, I tell it to print booklet style onto normal sized paper. I have to cut or tear my paper in half, sheet by sheet. But I'm typically only putting in four weeks of weekly schedules at a time, and that's just one cut.

There should be half-size printables designed to be printed on normal sized paper and then cut in half. Would this work for you?

http://www.printablepaper.net/preview/foldable-2

I use a half size binder as my teacher binder. It has the weekly schedules, notes on a "typical lesson" for things like WRTR and SOW, and a list of lessons so that I can mark the date that we've finished a lesson in "to-the-next-thing" style curriculum. I have half size Avery pockets as dividers. I make my own pages in word and Excel, setting the paper size to 5.5x8.5 in the custom paper sizes. Then, when printing, I tell it to print booklet style onto normal sized paper. I have to cut or tear my paper in half, sheet by sheet. But I'm typically only putting in four weeks of weekly schedules at a time, and that's just one cut.

There should be half-size printables designed to be printed on normal sized paper and then cut in half. Would this work for you?

http://www.printablepaper.net/preview/foldable-2

I threw this together for you. If I did it right, it should be college ruled. Print this duplex/booklet style (2 pages per side/4 pages per sheet). Then cut it in half.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxjzi1I5P0f5Q0lkQU5VNmF1cHM/edit?usp=sharing

Silver did you start using the half-sized Binder when you started using SOW?

Is the size of the lines in the first link like WRTR? I'll check out the second link when I can get on a real computer.

Silver did you start using the half-sized Binder when you started using SOW?

Is the size of the lines in the first link like WRTR? I'll check out the second link when I can get on a real computer.

I started using a half size binder because we bought a shelf from Target that wouldn't fit a full size binder. But I kind of like the cute little size, and it's easier to have on the end table without taking over.

I'm not sure what sure what the first link has for line widths, it looks like maybe it's wide rule?