Menu

Orlando people - is this doable?

klmama

We're going to be in Orlando for a few days, and the dc want to swim in the ocean. Is it worth driving to Merritt Island or Cocoa Beach? Can you recommend a nice beach where the huge waves are blocked by the island so it's more like being on the Gulf?

Cocoa Beach is totally doable. We went there for a day last time we visited Orlando. Although, be aware that currents will be stronger regardless of the presence of barrier islands. NC, where I grew up, is bracketed by many such islands, but the tide was still very strong.

Also, be aware of jelly fish!

Both are really doable.  We typically go to New Smyrna Beach on the Atlantic, but you could easily drive to the Gulf.  Maybe 2 hours away, give or take, while NSB is about an hour.  (Depends on where you're staying, of course.  If you're in the Disney area, then you're probably even closer to the Gulf…1-1/2 hours or so.)

It's cold though. :)  Even though it's 80 degrees, the water is still too cold for swimming for me. 

Waves aren't big this time of year. They run around 1-2 feet, but you do need to be aware of riptides. Just choose an area with lifeguards (Google Cocoa Beach year round life guards).

Thanks. I didn't realize wave size varied at different times of the year. Are they bigger in the summer?