Menu

If you pulled a kid out of ps to homeschool for senior year...

How did you handle college applications?  How did the colleges look at the senior-year switch?  How did you frame the decision?

If you read my various freak-out threads yesterday, you'll see that one or both of my twin dds(15yo) are thinking of coming home from high school.  After some discussion, it is looking more likely that one dd may come home next year (junior year), while the other will likely stay put for junior year but is saying she might really like to come home for senior year.

This latter plan freaks me out way less for many reasons I won't detail here now (unless someone really wants to know, lol) , except for the niggly bit about colleges. 

Any BTDT??

Not BTDT, but we will soon be in this position with DS next year.  He was homeschooled up until grade 9 and started public high school in grade 10.  This year, grade 11 he continued at the high school and dual enrolled at the U.  For grade 12 he will DE and homeschool.  I am not looking forward to pulling this all together in an easy to read transcript.   I do worry it will look inconsistent and fragmented.  He is a strong student though and each year we have taken the option that seemed to work best for him at that time.  Overall, I am pleased with the opportunities he has had.

For DS, taking classes at the U is his main priority and scheduling DE classes with high school classes has proven to be difficult this year.   The classes at the U he will take next year are midday and going to the high school, then the U, then back to high school is not appealing at all.

I am in the midst of looking into LA and social studies options for him.   The PA Homeschooler threads have been great!

My younger son is a sophomore at the public school after being homeschooled through grade 8.  We were discussing different options for him as well.   He is doing very well at the school and the classes are challenging and interesting (to a degree) but I am not sure that continuing at the high school for grades 11 and 12 is the best option for him in his overall (internal?) development.  I think a smaller, less chaotic environment suits him better.  He is concerned about slacking off too much without the rigid school environment, although he actually is strongly self motivated and self teaching.  So many options. 

We brought a student home for 11th grade.  Since dc was withdrawn from p.s. and registered as a homeschooled student, we assumed responsibility for the courses, transcript, college applications, etc.  We put together a transcript that included all courses and grades, p.s. and homeschool.  We calculated the GPA based on all courses.  We did not designate where the course was taken -- p.s. or homeschool or online.  We grouped the courses by subject on the transcript:

Math

Algebra I

Algebra II

Advanced Math

Calculus

English

English I

English II

English III

English IV

The transcript was a single sheet that included courses, ACT/SAT scores, GPA, volunteer work, and extracurricular.  We also included a 1-page reading list.

From the perspective of the college, a homeschooled student was applying.  Dc did not apply to any top tier colleges, so I don't know if there would be a difference with that process, but we didn't have any problems.

I don't have this exact experience, but I attended three different public high schools, the last one for just 6 months of 12th grade since i graduated in March, and I just had one transcript. It doesn't seem all that unusual to switch schools.

When you admit him into *your* school, you evaluate whether you accept previous credits, and if so you put them on your transcript. If you want to acknowledge they were outside courses, then you can attach the outside transcript, or you can put a symbol such as an asterisk after those course names, with a key down where you give your grading scale.

I realize some college folks have biases, but they have to know that students are transferring all the time. Solid test scores will help confirm.

Julie

Not BTDT, but we will soon be in this position with DS next year.  He was homeschooled up until grade 9 and started public high school in grade 10.  This year, grade 11 he continued at the high school and dual enrolled at the U.  For grade 12 he will DE and homeschool.  I am not looking forward to pulling this all together in an easy to read transcript.   I do worry it will look inconsistent and fragmented.  He is a strong student though and each year we have taken the option that seemed to work best for him at that time.  Overall, I am pleased with the opportunities he has had.

For DS, taking classes at the U is his main priority and scheduling DE classes with high school classes has proven to be difficult this year.   The classes at the U he will take next year are midday and going to the high school, then the U, then back to high school is not appealing at all.

I am in the midst of looking into LA and social studies options for him.   The PA Homeschooler threads have been great!

My younger son is a sophomore at the public school after being homeschooled through grade 8.  We were discussing different options for him as well.   He is doing very well at the school and the classes are challenging and interesting (to a degree) but I am not sure that continuing at the high school for grades 11 and 12 is the best option for him in his overall (internal?) development.  I think a smaller, less chaotic environment suits him better.  He is concerned about slacking off too much without the rigid school environment, although he actually is strongly self motivated and self teaching.  So many options. 

I just wanted to mention, for those thinking of doing this - check with your local uni and CC first. We have new policies now (and I don't know if they are local or state wide) and students withdrawing from public/private school to homeschool their senior year are NOT eligible to dual enroll. I had wondered if the schools were having too many students choosing to homeschool their senior year as DE here is completely free - books and everything.

How did you handle college applications?  How did the colleges look at the senior-year switch?  How did you frame the decision?

If you read my various freak-out threads yesterday, you'll see that one or both of my twin dds(15yo) are thinking of coming home from high school.  After some discussion, it is looking more likely that one dd may come home next year (junior year), while the other will likely stay put for junior year but is saying she might really like to come home for senior year.

This latter plan freaks me out way less for many reasons I won't detail here now (unless someone really wants to know, lol) , except for the niggly bit about colleges. 

Any BTDT??

A good friend did - her dd went to VA Tech. She encountered no problems at all. She had all her ducks in a row and excellent test scores. She graduated with dual degrees and is in grad school now.  She said no one really mentioned it, except for one local state school; but they knew the high school's reputation, lol and she gave the most positive spin on it that she could. (The reason was ickiness going on at the school that the kid just couldn't take anymore, kwim?)

She got in everywhere she applied.

Most schools will not care.  Some private schools/more selective schools might want to know more info; we had to do the whole "school philosophy" thing for one of them - just make sure you keep great records and know what the schools they will apply for actually want from hsers.  I wonder if it might come up in interviews?  Maybe have a positive, concrete reason prepared, just in case?

But you have time to plan!

hth,

Georgia

Both DD20 and now DS18 have done this.  We chose to go with a public homeschool charter school, so technically they are still in PS and receive PS diplomas and transcripts.  This made for an easy transition for their senior year.  For DD20, she wanted more time to spend on her music to prepare for college auditions.  For DS18, the classes he wanted to take are not offered at our local high school.  Staying with the public option has made the whole college application thing a breeze.

No college that either has applied to has blinked an eye at senior-year transfers.  All the colleges we checked out had provisions for home schoolers applying.  For DD20, the fact that she schooled herself at home her senior year was actually a big selling point when she got to the essay writing for scholarships. 

Military families move all the time, and military kids start new schools in their senior years all the time (I went to four high schools in three years, including a new one for my senior year). It isn't that big a deal. I don't believe colleges care whether the senior year is done at the same high school, a different high school, or at home.

I just wanted to mention, for those thinking of doing this - check with your local uni and CC first. We have new policies now (and I don't know if they are local or state wide) and students withdrawing from public/private school to homeschool their senior year are NOT eligible to dual enroll. I had wondered if the schools were having too many students choosing to homeschool their senior year as DE here is completely free - books and everything.

Do you mean that they have to have been homeschooling prior to their senior year?  How long?  That is interesting to know.  Thank you!

Anyone who's BTDT??  I could've sworn I've read threads here from people who have done this!  How would one frame this so that it's clear the student is "moving on/up" , not "dropping out"...?

Well, there would be grades and credits for the senior year, yes? There would not be any if the student had dropped out, right?