Menu

Some questions about fevers

UncleEJ

I have been thinking about writing a Dr Hive post for a while, but it will be long and lots of questions. I thought maybe I would ask a couple questions separately.

What is considered to be a fever? Is it a temperature over a certain point? Regardless of your baseline temperature? Or a certain amount of change from your personal baseline? If "normal" temperature is 98.6, and a fever is 99 or higher, then that's a change of only .4 degrees.

My baseline temp is low, between 97.3 and 97.5. So what would a fever be for me? Would it be 98 or higher? Or not until 99 like those whose baseline temp is 98.6?

I guess what I am asking is a specific number considered a fever or a certain amount of change from normal?

This is from Seattle Children's:

"Rectal, Ear or Temporal Artery (TA) temperature: 100.4° F (38.0° C) or higher

Oral or Pacifier temperature: 100° F (37.8° C) or higher

Under the arm (Axillary or armpit) temperature: 99° F (37.2° C) or higher"

I think, technically, a fever is defined by the actual temp, not the degrees above your start point. However, personally, I do always mention to the kids' (or my) doc that we generally run cool. I am more concerned about a 99.x, or 100.x than most people, because all three kids and I run in the 97s (low 97s for me). We are all so consistent, that a noticeable deviation into the "low-grade" fever range is significant (not serious necessarily).

In practice, it doesn't really matter, for us, because I don't treat a fever until much higher than that, and it's usually behavior-based. I will sometimes give a fever reducer at night, before bed, if it's pushing 101 ish, or higher, as there is a history of spiking a very high temp (104+) overnight, in our family. Otherwise, I monitor it, and let the fever do its job.

In general I think anything over 100 is considered a fever.

My normal temp tends to run low (around 97.5 - 98) so if I hit 99 I consider it a fever.

As a general rule I don't even think about treating fevers of less than 101.  Unless somebody's feeling really awful, I prefer to let the immune system do it's job w/o interference.  A fever is a symptom, not a problem in and of itself.

Funny, my son looked this up today. Medically, over 100 is a fever. But I think that's just to say that if it is over 100 it is definitely a fever, no matter what your normal is. Below that, it MIGHT be a fever, depending. Personally, if it is higher than the norm, I call it a fever. My son today was 99.5. By the books not a fever. But I know he runs right at 98 normally, and he felt "warm" to me, and I said no, you can't go to co-op. And I was right...it's now up to 101. So yeah..I don't care what the book says :)

In general I think anything over 100 is considered a fever.

My normal temp tends to run low (around 97.5 - 98) so if I hit 99 I consider it a fever.

As a general rule I don't even think about treating fevers of less than 101. Unless somebody's feeling really awful, I prefer to let the immune system do it's job w/o interference. A fever is a symptom, not a problem in and of itself.

This is me as well. My normal runs low, so 99 feels feverish for me. I feel chilled and achy at this point usually.

Funny, my son looked this up today. Medically, over 100 is a fever. But I think that's just to say that if it is over 100 it is definitely a fever, no matter what your normal is. Below that, it MIGHT be a fever, depending. Personally, if it is higher than the norm, I call it a fever. My son today was 99.5. By the books not a fever. But I know he runs right at 98 normally, and he felt "warm" to me, and I said no, you can't go to co-op. And I was right...it's now up to 101. So yeah..I don't care what the book says :)

I hope your son feels better soon, Katie! :grouphug:

I hope your son feels better soon, Katie! :grouphug:

Thanks, me too. He was mad about missing the first co-op this year, plus we have a valentines party on thursday. 1 year old also has a fever, 4 year old is on antibiotics for double ear infection. And I'm on the tail end of the same bug. this is right after hand/foot/mouth last week....as soon as the blisters went away this other crud started. I am so sick of sick. 

Thanks. The reason I ask is because I have been having low grade fevers everyday for a long time. I wake up normal (97.3-97.5) and by noon am creeping up to the 99.1-99.9 range. Everyday. My dr doesn't seem very worried because it is low grade but that is a two to almost three degree change.