Menu

Christian content: on the subject of overcoming - being an overcomer

momee

I'm researching and am curious to know what other christian WTM moms think...

1) Do you know the bible says as a believer of Jesus Christ you have overcome the world? 2) Do you feel like you are an overcomer (victorious)? 3) If so, why? If no, why not? 4) If not, what would have to change, if anything, before you would feel like an overcomer (see victory) in your everyday life? 

1) Do you know the bible says as a believer of Jesus Christ you have overcome the world? 2) Do you feel like you are an overcomer (victorious)? 3) If so, why? If no, why not? 4) If not, what would have to change, if anything, before you would feel like an overcomer (see victory) in your everyday life? 

What scripture are you referencing here? I'm not familiar with one that says this off the top of my head.

OK, I'll bite.

1.  Yes, I know it says that.  

1. 1 John 5:4
    For whatever is born of God overcomethe world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

2. 1 John 5:5
    Who is the one who overcomethe world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
  3. John 16:33
    These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.â€

2.  Do I "feel" it?  Not particularly, especially lately!  But it doesn't depend on me or my feelings but on what Jesus Christ did for me.  It also depends on me letting the Holy Spirit work through me with His power and not my own.  

3.  Why?  Because I'm in pain and am tired and overwhelmed etc.  But fortunately God doesn't need me to be strong in order to be victorious through me.  

4.  I confess my sins regularly and stay in fellowship.  I try to keep my sinful self out of the way so that God can work.  Victory follows from what He does, not what I do.

Why yes, but not the way that it is sometimes proclaimed (as in name it, claim it.) More like the weapons of our warfare are not the weapons of the system of power that exists in the world, so we overcome evil with good, overcome hate & fear with love, etc. That doesn't mean we "live happily ever after" on earth, though sometimes there is an actual victory here and we see the beauty of redemption. But when we allow God to love our enemy through us, the system of power in the world is being overcome.

I don't really feel that I have conquered the world until it is all said & done. I don't believe in once saved always saved. Every day...every choice I make is one step towards "victory"...or not, I guess.

Look at Peter; he flat out denied Jesus 3 times. If he had died immediately after that (prior to weeping bitterly in repentance, I suppose?)...he would not have been declared victorious, IMO. He repented, changed his course, and because of that he is considered a good example.

I think we "conquer the world" by keeping God's commands. Not by simply believing in Jesus. That's a great oversimplification.

1) Yes.

2) Sometimes.

3) I don't think that much about it, and when I do, I generally don't give much intellectual weight to the state of my emotions on the topic. Mostly it's just a fact that I know, I don't have any particularly strong feelings related to that fact.

4) I don't need my feelings to change. I think they are fine the way they are.

1. Yes

2. Yes, but as bolt said above, it's more a resolute knowledge than a feeling.

3. Because my overcoming is not based on my personal successes and failures. It is based on the righteousness of Jesus Christ, who took on my sin and failures, and conquered death. HE had already overcome.

4. I had to acknowledge the above before I saw myself as an overcomer. Understand my need for Him, and the results of placing my faith in Him. I try to live in a way that pleases and honors Him, and points others to Him, but I had/have to know that my works do not make me righteous - that is His work.

FWIW, I see an "overcomer" being one who believes and PERSEVERES in the faith. I think the perseverance is key, especially when finding verses about overcomers/ing in the book of Revelation.