Menu

Anyone move to a different climate for health reasons?

morgan

So my husband is in his early 40's and has been suffering from numerous health issues, including fibromyaliga, and was recently diagnosed with chronic myofascial pain syndrome from Mayo (so I guess that means he probably has it?). We live in the beautiful, but very wet and chilly, Pacific Northwest. We are thinking about relocating to a drier warmer climate (possibly Arizona or New Mexico) in hope that he would feel better, but that would involve a huge lifestyle change. Anyone move for similar health reasons and how did it work out? 

Only partly.  My husband is recovering from a stroke and Midwestern winters are just way too difficult right now when he is learning to walk well again.  (Last year's winter was 6 months long!)  We have temporarily moved to Central America to be in a better year-round climate (and to be closer to our daughter, who lives here), but we still have our home in the Midwest. 

We are flying another one of our daughters here next week, and she will be living here indefinitely for health reasons.  She has a lot of health issues, including we believe a connective tissue disorder, and is in pain almost every day.  It's kind of experimental to see if she feels better here.  Our daughter who lives here already USED to have numerous allergies and asthma, and she doesn't have any of them here.

BTW, Mayo is great!  The second daughter I mentioned is actually there right now.

I know of a family who moved south for their daughter's health. They did a test run where the mom and girl spent a couple months there. Her health dramatically improved. They came back, packed up and left. Now they post pictures of the beach while we have 4 feet of snow and getting more every day. The girl has lots of health issues, but I think it was respiratory stuff that the climate helped with.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I think I would like to move somewhere with less pressure changes, not necessarily somewhere warmer (since I already live in California with those 115F summers). Im not sure if that even exists. Every time the weather changes for the colder or warmer I feel like a truck ran over me.

Both dh and I were suffering seasonal depression in western Oregon and we moved to northern California and a wonderful side effect is that both of our children can breath. They both had mild mold allergies and could not breath in the winter months when they were cooped up inside. Lo and behold we have not even had to purchase a box of kleenex, much less pester the doctor to just write  prescription after prescription for decongestant. Everyone in our house an breathe! I am sorry we did not move long ago.

Interested in the responses.

I had the unfortunate experience of moving back east from NM and having my health fall apart. Needless to say, the SW is very appealing, as my body seemed better able to cope.

FWIW, I was diagnosed with fibro and myofascial pain, among other things. Miserable. About 5 years in, a series of coincidental events led me to the root cause of the issues for me. Treating that made a huge difference, and life is better now - though by no means perfect. I would encourage you and your DH to keep seeking answers because fibro and the like can be symptoms of other things, and if you treat those other issues, there might be some relief. Of course, it may be that finding the root cause is next to impossible. Or feel that way. I know I was incredibly lucky. I hope you and your DH find the right answers for him, and that there is relief.

Good luck on your journey! You might like a book that my DH found helpful: Beyond Chaos; One Man's Journey Alongside His Chronically Ill Wife. It was nice to have his journey recognized, and it was good for me to read it and appreciate his journey. That's a random aside that may or may not be interesting...