Menu

Read-Alouds for a 5 year old -suggestions please

Diana B

My son loves to have 'chapter books' read to him. I'm having a hard time deciding what to read. Should I start him on some of the classics that I think he'd enjoy or are there some 'modern' classics that would be good for this age? He's got some twaddle picture books he enjoys (I buy as many good books as possible, but I can't keep it all out) and I really don't want to introduce twaddle chapter books to him. We are finishing up with the Mouse and the Motorcycle series and I think we'll do Nim's Island next. Anything else you would recommend? Also, at 5 years old, do you think we should do an abbreviated version of the classic? He enjoys the stories when I read aloud, but still gets lost at times (especially during dialogs). I don't want to read him something that will completely lose him.

Thanks!

This may not be an issue for you, but if I had to do it over--I would not let him watch ANY movies of good books.

For example, I wanted to read "Charlotte's Web" to my son--but there was zero interest--actually, resistence! After all, he'd watched the movie a zillion times when he was five.

There are so many movies of books out there--and that's for when he's older--when he can read the book, watch the movie and discuss it: contrast and compare.

On the other hand, at that age we enjoyed The Wind and The Willows, Just So Stories, Beatrix Potter, The Princess and the Goblin and The Secret Garden, and James Herriots' Stories for Children.

This may not be an issue for you, but if I had to do it over--I would not let him watch ANY movies of good books.

For example, I wanted to read "Charlotte's Web" to my son--but there was zero interest--actually, resistence! After all, he'd watched the movie a zillion times when he was five.

There are so many movies of books out there--and that's for when he's older--when he can read the book, watch the movie and discuss it: contrast and compare.

On the other hand, at that age we enjoyed The Wind and The Willows, Just So Stories, Beatrix Potter, The Princess and the Goblin and The Secret Garden, and James Herriots' Stories for Children.

Thank you for this tip - this is something I had never even considered before!

Socks by Beverly Cleary

The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O'Brien

Poppy and Rye by Avi

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

The Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood

Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl

Mother West Wind's Children (and others) by Thornton Burgess

Tara

You've gotten some GREAT suggestions so far! I heartily second (or third?) Mr. Popper's Penguins--it is just so durn funny. My dd has also loved

The Secret Garden

The Pippi Longstocking books

The Tale of Desperaux

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Pinocchio (though it didn't do a THING for me)

Mary Poppins

Just So Stories

Our Island Story

The Burgess Bird Book

Paddle to the Sea

Viking Tales

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Black Ships Before Troy

Otto of the Silver Hand

King of the Golden River

Alice in Wonderland

The Clyde Bulla books (The Sword in the Tree, A Lion to Guard Us)

The Melendy books of Elizabeth Enright

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

The Chronicles of Narnia (esp. Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair)

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Among the ____ People books (Forest, Night, Meadow, Pond)

Little Pilgrim's Progress

Little House in the Big Woods

Trumpet of the Swan

The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books

The Betsy-Tacy books

Cricket in Times Square

Homer Price and Centerburg Tales (great boy interest books!)

Men of Iron (advanced, but she LOVES medieval tales)

The Door in the Wall (ditto above)

Favorite Medieval Tales

...so many wonderful books, so little time! :001_smile:

Mr. Popper's Penguins- my kids never giggled so much.

Illustrated Classics- 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Captain's Courageous, Gulliver's Travels... I like Illustrated Classics. the kids get a picture on every page and the story is long enough to be worth a good read, and some interesting vocabulary without all the meandering the real classics provide.

Little House- a boy probably wouldn't want to read all of them but Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie and Farmer Boy all kept my son's interest. Some of the others didn't go over too well. Farmer BOy is a hoot. Great stuff!

The Sign of the Beaver- if your ds has a good vocabulary this one is a wonderful edge of your seat adventure. I am going to read it a second time around for sure.

You could try getting your feet wet with Chronicles of Narnia but he'll get a lot more out of it in about a year, so I say wait unless you run out of other ideas.

My boy really loves this book I found, which you may search on PaperBack Swap called, Children's story Hour (part of that series) Heroes and Heroines. It's a wonderful biographical account of all the major historical American figures- but it also includes Marco Polo, Ponce De Leon, the Vikings, and even Hellen Keller.

We also look for the Sonlight books at the library- we tried Apple and the Arrow...that was okay but we weren't exactly enthralled. But we've read a lot of the K books and pretty much at least liked all of them.

This is the reason we are doing Nim's Island next. I really want to see the movie, I know ds will enjoy it, but I want to have the book under our belt first.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will be compiling them here shortly and figure out what we want to do this year. We are bus-takers and this is our greatest past-time when on the bus. :-) I think after Nim's Island we'll go to Aesop's Fables, simply because we haven't read any of these yet. :)

Thanks a bunch!!

These are perhaps similar to what others have suggested, and overlap quite a few. But I couldn't help responding :) Here's the list I made for suggestions to myself for the coming year. (My son is also five.)

Old Mother West Wind by Thornton W. Burgess

Animal Stories by Thornton W. Burgess

The Burgess Bird Book by Thornton W. Burgess

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Princess and Goblin by George McDonald

The Complete Book of Dragons by Edith Nesbit

The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit

Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White

Stuart Little by E.B. White

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

My Father’s Dragons series by Ruth Stiles Gannet

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Indian in the Cupboard series by Lynn Reig Banks

The Wizard of Oz series by Frank L. Baum

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Florence and Richard Atwater

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Old Yeller by Fred Gibson

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

The Fairy Books by Andrew Lang

Beautiful Feet's Teaching Character through Literature is only $15 new. It has a great list of books, the reason for reading them, and discussion. There is a list with additional books that are not included as lessons in the discussion guide, but many of them still have descriptions and pointers. I am so happy with my purchase. I was grieving the loss of Sonlight and BF includes many SL books in a do-able way for my family. Out of everything I have bought so far this is the best. All of the guesswork is taken care of and I even get discussion pointers. I can not recommend this enough. There is a section included for K-3 and another one for 4-6. We will probably end up using it for at least 4 of our homeschooling years.