Menu

Why DO Women Wear Make Up?

Gil

I have a friend who wears very colourful makeup.  She's does some really great stuff.  She gets comments about how she'd be more beautiful if she didn't wear makeup (the "natural" makeup look).  Well she doesn't do it to look like anyone else's standard of beauty, she does it because it's her art and it's fun.  So not only does society look down on people who don't wear makeup at all they also look down on people who don't wear acceptable amounts of makeup.  We are both feminists and don't feel like our wearing makeup is submitting to the patriarchy.  We do it for us.  

Most of the time I don't really wear makeup.  I have sensitive skin but I do like a no makeup, makeup look the rare time I leave the house.  It's just fun to play with.  I don't do elaborate makeup like my friend, because, to my eyes, I can't pull it off.  

A question like why do women wear makeup (in this time period) is one you can't answer for all women.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, I am seeing a resurgence of the name Kelly for boys around here. I know two 30-something male Kellys and three under-10 male Kellys.

My dh is named Kelly, so i have a lot of first-hand experience in how that name can play out! ;) and yeah, we have met one young, male Kelly; i think that name attracts some folks by way of Kelly Slater.

Make-up mimics the facial signs of arousal, hence creating attractiveness.

Blush and lipstick mimic blood flow to the cheeks and lips, make-up around the eyes makes them seem larger and brighter.

Make-up is about looking fertile, whether you are or not. It's display behavior.

Of course, it's so entrenched in our culture that we don't really think about that when we wear it.

I will admit that it was when I read that mascara make your eyes look more like you are aroused that I started wearing it ( that was about 3 years ago). Dh of course took 6 months to notice and asked me why I was wearing mascara. I told him it was so he would subconsciously desire me. I don't think he believed me at all, and was a bit shocked by what I said.

My question--in the rest of the animal kingdom, it is the male that needs to put on the show to attract a mate. Why are humans the opposite??

To answer the OP--I wear make-up because it is fun and it makes me look better. I have small facial features--make-up brings them out and helps me look lively.

Most men do put on a show. Some of them are more successful than others. Some men make fools of themselves with their show.

female animals do groom themselves a bit too you know

I used to work in the semiconductor industry in Class 10 cleanrooms.  One of the rules is "No makeup in the cleanrooms".  At first it seems weird, and the other women seem washed out.  Within a few days it seems perfectly normal.  So, my theory is that women have been wearing makeup for so long that it now seems normal. 

I find it amusing to watch TV/movies made in the 80's.  Particularly Matlock.  The women all have those obvious lines of blush on their cheeks.  It seemed perfectly natural back then.