Menu

veritas

You all are going to love this one. 

Sho Yano finished high school at the age of 9, scored a 1500/1600 on the SAT, and graduated from college summa cum laude at the age of 12. He received his MD/PhD from the University of Chicago at the age of 21. In the video below, he describes his upbringing, life challenges, and future ambitions:

I loved it. I loved the great question, "you're a genius so what can you teach other people about studying when things come easy to you and others have to work hard at it?". That was a great question, and it came with a great answer, with an example of something that did not come easy to him and was not really important to him, he said, "it has to be important to you why you're learning it. And then find a way for you to learn it because everyone learns differently.".

When they interviewed the mother she pointed out that it wasn't about telling everybody, "my kids a special little genius, it was about finding their strengths and weaknesses and helping them out."

I loved when he said he had an uncle who was an astrophysicist who gave him great books about astrophysics, but really didn't know much about kids. He had to ask for help and look stuff up in the dictionary to understand what he was trying to read.

I love that they took their 15 minutes of fame and demonstrated a really healthy way to help kids stretch kids talents. It is about learning their personal strengths and weaknesses and helping them and not limiting them and helping them find a reason for learning things, making education worthwhile.

I think it was just because there seemed to be too many of them.  They distracted me from the answers he was giving.  For me, if I was the one being interviewed, I believe they would make it harder to concentrate.  A couple are fine, but she seemed to overdo them.  Besides that, I thought her questions were fine and that she handled the interview well.  It is just a personal thing I think.

I felt like the interviewer wanted more detailed answers from him and from the mother.  Some of her follow up questions seemed designed to bring them out more.  I also thought that the interviewer had some preconceived ideas on what their answers should be (for example on the whole socialization issue with homeschooling).  I think the mother esp. was a bit annoyed with that because the mother does not fit Asian mothering stereotypes of someone who micromanages her children.

As an aside,  I wondered why a Korean family gave their daughter a Japanese first name.