Menu

Stand mixers

Jackie

I've never owner a stand mixer. What do I want?

It needs to be easy to use and clean. It will be primarily used for cookie dough and kneading bread dough. Price isn't a big issue. It needs to last - all my appliances seem to be breaking lately!

KitchenAid seems to be what I see everywhere. If you recommend that, which line?

For kneading bread dough, I think the Bosch is a better choice, especially if you want to make whole wheat dough.  Mine can mix 5 loaves of whole wheat at a time. The kitchen aids are not made like they used to be and I wouldn't rely on one to do the kind of heavy mixing I need.

I am in the Bosch mixer camp.  My DD and DIL all have Kitchen aid, and while they are fantastic for some things, they will not do bread like a Bosch will.  Small batches of anything are fine in the Bosch, but work better in the KA I think.  Larger batches of cookies mix well in the Bosch.  Easy to clean, easy to add flour to, unlike the KA.

I love mine.  My Mom's is over 30 years old and stil going strong.

I have a Kitchen Aid and it works just fine. I have never needed to knead 5 lbs of bread at a time, lol. I have to imagine that the Bosch is really big to hold that much dough?

I use my KA quite often. I mix cookie dough, usually in double batches, cakes, bread (2 loaves), my super thick brownie batter, and lots of other things.  If I am cooking in bulk I use my KA to mix any large batch of stuff.  I also use it to whip cream and have made butter in it for the kids.

I have what is prob the cheapest one. My mom has a bigger one, where the bowl lifts up to meet the mixer. I don't think it works any better than mine.

I've been happy with the plain white Kitchenaid Artisan for years. (Maybe 8 years?) It meets my needs. I probably use it once or twice a week. There are only four of us, so I'm usually only baking one or two loaves of bread or a single cookie recipe. I've even committed the mortal sin of dumping a cake mix in there. I also use it to shred meats, mix meatloaf, and to make meringue and whipped cream. It works much harder around the holidays and she i have company. I put the bowl and attachments in the dishwasher. I have a small family and we just don't eat loads of bread or baked goods, but we do like the good stuff when we have it :-)

I'll do some more comparing between the two brands. We're a family of three, so a double batch of cookies or 1-2 loaves of bread is usually all we do at one time. I don't need a lot of power, but more than my 12-year old hand mixer is giving me! And my food processor just died, so I'll use the stand mixer for breads, most of which are whole grain.

Any others I should look at?