Menu

Wetsuit question for sailing

swimmermom3

Sailor Dude is in the middle of earning his USA Sailing Small Boat Instructor Level 1 certification.

The coach emailed last night and said that wetsuits will be mandatory this weekend. It is currently 20 degrees with heavy snow and freezing fog - a bit unusual for us.

What thickness of wetsuit would a sailor want? 3/2? We are in Oregon and usually don't need them, but spring regattas up north from us can be fairly cold.

We've never purchased a wetsuit before, so any tips would be appreciated.

apparently there are different types of wetsuits for different sports. so the wet suit for sailing may be different than what is used for surfing.

I don't know much about wet suits, but I went shopping with my oldest and got him a wet suit for kite surfing. it was completely different than the ones used for surfing. apparently the surfing ones have extra padding on the chest and ones for kite surfing have more movement around the arms.

I would guess that the ones for sailing would have more movement around the arms??

Thanks everyone for your help. Dh and Sailor Dude took off early for his class so they could go wetsuit shopping. As they were leaving, the coach called and said that the class was cancelled due to the weather. The guys decided they needed an adventure and drove on into town anyway. :tongue_smilie: They had chains, the roads were empty, and they had the surfboard/snowboard shop to themselves.  Anyway, ds is now the proud owner of a used Xcel kids' 4/3 wetsuit. Unbeknownst to my son, he is getting windsurfing lessons for his 16th birthday, so the shop helped steer him to something he could potentially use for both.

It's like learning a foreign language. After nine years of club swimming, I understand about comp suits and goggles, but spray tops and wetsuits? Not so much. :D

Wildiris, I am not sure what ds will wear with his wetsuit. I assume it will be his spray top and his overalls (or whatever those things are called) along with his PFD.

I have got to get a boot dryer too. I don't think any of us can stand another season of stinky sailing boots.