Menu

2nd grader struggling with spelling, going back to a solid phonics program?

abooke1

I was specifically thinking about CLE LA? He does not struggle with reading, it is only spelling. He struggles a lot. In K we used McRuffy and 1st Heart of Dakota. This year we are doing Classical Conversations and adding LA and Math. We've been using McRuffy with some Time 4 Learning this year, as far as any phonics.

We are schooling through the summer because we have a baby due beginning of October. I also just ordered Phonics Pathways. I am thinking of switching our LA and Math to CLE for next year. I love Abeka, but the price tag of CLE is much better. I didn't know if we do Phonics Pathways would taking him back be beneficial in CLE as well? Anyone had a child that struggles with any of this? Or just any advice? Thanks!

I was specifically thinking about CLE LA? He does not struggle with reading, it is only spelling. He struggles a lot. In K we used McRuffy and 1st Heart of Dakota. This year we are doing Classical Conversations and adding LA and Math. We've been using McRuffy with some Time 4 Learning this year, as far as any phonics.

We are schooling through the summer because we have a baby due beginning of October. I also just ordered Phonics Pathways. I am thinking of switching our LA and Math to CLE for next year. I love Abeka, but the price tag of CLE is much better. I didn't know if we do Phonics Pathways would taking him back be beneficial in CLE as well? Anyone had a child that struggles with any of this? Or just any advice? Thanks!

Phonics and spelling are not the same thing. ;-)

Although I think that describing a 7yo as a "struggling" speller is too early for that--10yo, yes; 7yo, no--my go-to fix for spelling is Spalding. It teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, and includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. For children up to, oh, 8 years old, it's a complete English literacy program. And all you need is the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards; children 8 and older will keep a spelling notebook so you'd need one of those, as well.

I agree with using an Orton-Gillingham based phonics program. Spalding is solid but I found it not very user-friendly when I did it with my oldest. My 2nd child used All About Spelling, which is totally open-and-go with a scripted TM.

Other OG programs include Dancing Bears/Apples & Pears, Logic of English, EPS' "How to Teach Spelling", and the ones in this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/476004-please-list-all-of-the-orton-gillingham-programs-you-know-ofreading-a-book/

If you've not taught spelling rules explicitly then I'm not sure that your son actually struggles with spelling - he's just not learned the rules that govern spelling yet.  I would be inclined to use the spelling rules in Phonics Pathways to teach your son before I'd go out and by a more expensive program. The bonus would be that you can also use the book to review any phonics that he isn't strong in - however, phonics instruction alone isn't going to teach him how to spell.  I'm using PP now with ds7 for spelling and he's learning and retaining well. I'ts open and go, flexible, quick and can be customized to the needs of your dc.

We are using CLE for both math and LA and love it. I am due with my 4th in July and am so glad that we have a program that is as thorough and yet manageable as CLE. When the baby arrives, I know that we will be able to get these subjects done, and done well.

My oldest is six and is doing 1st grade right now - he is a natural speller, so I don't know if their spelling would help a struggling speller, but they do introduce very basic phonetic rules for spelling and give them maybe six words to practice each lesson that relate to the rule, and there is a lot of reinforcement in subsequent lessons.

If he's struggling to spell but not read, getting a straight phonics only program may not be what is needed. I agree with pp. I would look into a spelling program that is O-G based. Sequential Spelling is another one.

I have the opposite problem of having a child who likes to spell and write, but is lagging in reading. I've been studying the Spalding book WRTR to help with that. 

Those three would be solid spelling programs to research...WRTR (Spalding), Sequential Spelling, AAS. 

I agree with trying LOE..... you can use it for 2-3 years even, so the cost is cut back!  I have been stretching some lessons out for my 2nd grader to make sure they are solid before moving forward.  We will most likely be using the essentials book for 3rd grade, too.  Then he can move on to the advanced spelling list provided free on the LOE site for 4th grade.

Good luck on your hunt!