Menu

Handwriting for 4 year old

tld

I'd typically not be one to rush handwriting for a 4-year-od boy who is still more than a year and a half away from starting kindergarten, but he LOVES to write letters and doesn't mind worksheets to practice on.  I'm tired of printing this and that off the computer and just want a book/program that's already printed.  I like Handwriting Without Tears for K, and I looked at the preschool program, but it doesn't really involve the actual writing that he wants to be doing.  Should I start HWT K with him this early and maybe do it again in a couple years?  Or is there something else out there that might work?  I'm going to be starting All About Reading Pre-reading with him (doesn't involve writing that I can see), and had looked at Get Ready for the Code since it has some handwriting....but I'm wondering if the combination of the two programs might be overkill as he already knows most of his alphabet sounds and just needs a little more review.  So, yes, any advice for a little boy who wants to write?

If you have a 4 year old who wants to write letters and can I would let him do that. I would work with my kids much younger on writing if they were capable of it. You can use the hand writing with tears kindergarten workbook with a 4 year old. I am doing other things with my son besides handwriting and probably will with my youngest but that is because writing and drawing is a struggle for them and they are not ready for it. I would just work with them on formation on paper if I could because they were ready and enjoyed doing it.

I would go for HWOT K. You can learn capitals & lower case and practice printing and still do all the manipulative stuff the preschool program does. My kids both have loved HWOT. I just started doing a letter if the week and I was blown away the other day with how well my ds, 4, wrote his name. We also use some stuff from Confessions of a homeschooler and we do the Rod and Staff A-F series.

I taught my eldest to write at 4, but used no program - I just used a blank composition notebook - no lines - and taught letter formation. The reason I liked this was that it did not expect the child to make uniform letters and she could write as big as she needed/wanted to while still learning the correct letter formation - this was correct for her at that age. My youngest however has reached that stage already with her fine motor and she turns 3 this month (I just teach her how to write letters now when she asks and also only on blank paper writing very large) - I have no idea what I will be doing with her when she is 4. I would imagine if the fine motor is really good that HWT K would be an option but I would test first whether your child is capable of writing as small and in the boxes as would be expected. 

I have a 4-yr-old who writes really well now. We did a mix of things but here are the ones that worked best.

There are a set of DVDs called The TV Teacher. Awful name, I know, but the videos are fantastic. Each letter has a little 3 minute clip with some silly antics, words that begin with that letter, and a cute little chant that Miss Marnie repeats whilst showing correct letter formation. This was perfect for my dd who REALLY wanted to learn but was not always keen on having me correct her. Of course, I still sat next to her to monitor and ensure she didn't pick up any bad habits!

There are fun sheets, lined paper, and even traceable letters that come with them.

(They also put out a cool drawing with shapes set as well!)

Lots of work with small dry erase markers.

We then started the Draw Write Now books, and she writes at least one sentence per day in these. This is proper penmenship time. Other times that require writing like spelling I am not as concerned with perfect letter formation.

When she got better and faster we then started Writing with Ease, which she really enjoys.

Oh, and TV Teacher now apparently has an app. I haven't seen it, but you could start there if you like the idea...

Handwriting is a subject that there is absolutely no reason to hold back on. Some kids just have the dexterity and patience to start earlier. I think it would be wrong to hold off on a program just because of their age. And there is no reason to repeat a level later. If he is ready, start now and just progress up the levels going at his pace.

My oldest loved writing from a young age. She would sit and trace letters all day long. Once she learned her letters she would write short letters to everyone. I just viewed it as a type of creative expression. She is 5 now and we have moved on to cursive, which she loves. I'm so impressed with the quality of work she is pouring out and she is so happy that we started cursive when we did.

• 2 weeks later...

HWOT k was great for my 4 turning 5 preschooler. I'd planned to wait, but she wanted to learn.

I love this method, and think an eager 4 year old would have no trouble. You can take it slow or take a break if needed.

My daughter finished the book, but still needs practice and forgets how to form letters sometimes. So she writes a few words after phonics lessons.

I think after you finish HWOT you could just keep writing a little every school day to keep it up, refine skills.