Menu

Can a dog take Aleve?

Amy in NH

My mother's dog pulled a groin muscle or sprained a foot a few days ago.  She was crying and wasn't walking, so Mom took her to the emergency vet where they said it was a sprain and prescribed an anti inflammatory (Carprofin) which has been helping.  The anti-inflammatory will run out tomorrow and Mom is wondering if she can use Aleve after that.  The dog is improving, but it still obviously in pain.  Mom would like to avoid another vet visit if possible, so can anyone recommend a good otc pain med safe for dogs?

Ditto  buffered aspirin.  It's fairly hard to find.  I haven't seen Bufferin on store shelves in a long time, but Walgreens has a store brand of buffered aspirin.  5 to 10 mg. per pound of body weight is the dosage range.  So for a 30 pound dog I'd start with about half of a regular (325 mg.) aspirin.  You can give it every 12 hours.

Okay . . .  there's a problem.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered some warning about giving aspirin and carprofen in close proximity to each other.  So I did a little Googling and found this on VeterinaryPartner:

Drugs of the NSAID class should not be used concurrently as the potential for the aforementioned side effects increases. For similar reasons, NSAIDS should not be used in conjunction with corticosteroid hormones such as prednisone, dexamethasone, etc. The manufacture recommends a 5 to 7 day rest period when changing over to carprofen or to another NSAID from carprofen. Aspirin poses an exception due to its strong platelet inactivating abilities so 10 to 14 days is recommended when switching to carprofen from aspirin. Allow at least one week between prednisone and carprofen.

So based on that I would NOT give any aspirin unless a vet okays it!