Menu

RightStart and/or Singapore

cassafraz

Last fall, I ordered Rightstart A and B (the older editions) for a great price. I was still indecisive about what to use to teach math, and figured I could resell it if it wasn't what we wanted. Looking through it, rightstart A seemed to jump all over, and cover alot of topics that my kiddo already knew, and we had been doing Singapore Essentials anyway. Now we are nearing the end of Essentials and have to make a decision for the next level. My kiddo loves his singapore  worksheets,  but I find that I normally use the Rightstart to introduce a topic, then just do Singapore, skip several rightstart lessons then use it again when we have a new concept in Singapore. I really like the way that rightstart introduces concepts. I don't feel like Singapore does much intro at all, granted, it's kindergarten math, but it's all I have to go on for now. I do understand that Singapore Primary math is different than essentials, so I don't feel like I am making a fair comparison. 

So, if any of that made sense, please help with my dilemma. Should I switch over completely to rightstart for level B and not purchase Singapore Primary 1A&B or continue on with doing both. Should I switch completely to Singapore while using Rightstart games (because we love those!)? One of the reasons I am concerned about switching to Rightstart is that subtraction isn't even covered in A. I believe it is introduced in B. Singapore will cover it right away, and in fact covers it even in Essentials. Also, several people seem to desert Rightstart around C or D. If I am going to switch anyway, is there a benefit to starting with it?

I hope some of this makes sense.... I might need some coffee....

Have you seen the HIGs for Singapore PM? That is where the lesson is taught. Essentials is a very different program (with very brief teaching notes at the bottom of each worksheet). I would try to get your hands on the textbook/workbook/HIG for Singapore 1A to help you decide.

I don't like RS A at all but I love, love, LOVE B and the first part of C. Right Start B does not cover subtraction like Singapore 1A/B does, but it goes much further than Singapore in terms of covering place value and addition. Since you already have RS B, I would use that as your "spine" and then move into Singapore 2A. Singapore 2A will repeat all the content of 1A/B so I wouldn't worry at all about skipping those books.

I personally love to start with Rightstart, but I do switch around d because of the teacher intensivity.  (Once the child is working well independently, I prefer to move to more independent materials).  I never did A, though...just started with B.  I think Rightstart B and C lay an excellent foundation.  It sounds like you should have started with RS B rather than A (since he knew a lot of the A topics.)  I have never used Singapore, though (well, except for preschool.)  We do use Math-U-See in combination with RS, though, so I don't see a problem with continuing what you are doing (using RS to fill in where Singapore is weak.)  Keep in mind that at these ages, it is more about having fun with math than mastering anything....so use whatever your son finds most enjoyable!  If he likes just the games from Righstart, then supplementing Singapore with the games might make the most sense, if he is enjoying Singapore.  My older kids hated workbooks at that age, but my youngest loves them...that a blessing! (easier on Mom!)  I wouldn't worry about having to switch programs down the line, though...you'll likely switch down the road regardless....use whatever works at the moment.  Anyway, it sounds to me like you've found something that works, and I'd just stick with what you're doing!

I, like you, believe RS is far superior in presentation of topics. One example is the introduction and emphasis of mental strategies first when beginning a new topic. I also believe RS lays a "can't be beat" place value foundation.

If I were teaching another child, I would still do RS for the early levels. And RS doesn't at all fit me as a teacher! FWIW, we completed B and then moved to a Singapore based program. I was disappointed in the difference and finally went back to RS C, working half way through, for the subtraction introduction before I switched to a Singapore program for good.

I do think Singapore is a really good program. However, I think RS B is fantastic, and you already own it. No question I would do RS B in your situation.

Have you seen the HIGs for Singapore PM? That is where the lesson is taught. Essentials is a very different program (with very brief teaching notes at the bottom of each worksheet). I would try to get your hands on the textbook/workbook/HIG for Singapore 1A to help you decide.

I have only seen the HIGs for Singapore US edition, which I plan on using Standards. There is nowhere local that has Standards, and I would really rather not purchase another curriculum piece and then go with what I already have....Maybe I should....

I, like you, believe RS is far superior in presentation of topics. One example is the introduction and emphasis of mental strategies first when beginning a new topic. I also believe RS lays a "can't be beat" place value foundation.

If I were teaching another child, I would still do RS for the early levels. And RS doesn't at all fit me as a teacher! FWIW, we completed B and then moved to a Singapore based program. I was disappointed in the difference and finally went back to RS C, working half way through, for the subtraction introduction before I switched to a Singapore program for good.

I do think Singapore is a really good program. However, I think RS B is fantastic, and you already own it. No question I would do RS B in your situation.

This is what I find myself leaning to, and what I had decided last year, possibly even purchasing Rightstart C to learn the subtraction before switching to Singapore. However, he really likes his worksheets. If we have a day that was light to nonexistant to worksheets, he thinks we haven't done school. So, should I maybe just get the Singapore workbook to let him practice what we are learning in Rightstart without being to concerned with finishing the entire thing? Or another source for worksheets?

I have only seen the HIGs for Singapore US edition, which I plan on using Standards. There is nowhere local that has Standards, and I would really rather not purchase another curriculum piece and then go with what I already have....Maybe I should....

This is what I find myself leaning to, and what I had decided last year, possibly even purchasing Rightstart C to learn the subtraction before switching to Singapore. However, he really likes his worksheets. If we have a day that was light to nonexistant to worksheets, he thinks we haven't done school. So, should I maybe just get the Singapore workbook to let him practice what we are learning in Rightstart without being to concerned with finishing the entire thing? Or another source for worksheets?

Right Start I feel is lacking in word problems, so you could get Singapore's CWP 1 to go along with the worksheets in RS B.

What manipulatives are required for Right Start B? I've heard people rave about it, but I'd hate to invest in tons (more!) of manipulatives I wouldn't need if I weren't planning to continue with Right Start.

We're math dabblers over here... I love MM/SM CWP/Beast for my 9 year old, but so far I'm all over the place with my 4.5 year old. Luckily, we're just 'playing' with math now, but I really like the AL Abacus/Activities guide. Also using some SM Essentials, Math U See Primer, & c-rods/education Unboxed when the mood strikes... She seems to adore all of it, so I guess it is good I'm a math curriculum hoarder. Luckily, it's my only vice.

We use RS Math & Singapore Primary Math together. We probably don't move as fast as we would if we were only using one program, but I feel like my kids are getting an awesome foundation. My dd11 (5th grade) is in RSE and Primary Math 4B now, and we'll move completely to Primary Math once she finishes RSE. I think she'll quickly "catch up" with the Primary Math at that point.  Ds7 (2nd grade) is in RSC and Primary 1B(almost finished), and I think the same thing about him. 

Oldest dd has dyscalculia, and RS helped her to finally move forward after being "stuck" for a long, long time. We didn't discover it until she was in 5th grade, and she hated doing math so far below her grade level, but by golly, she started to finally grasp mathematical concepts!

RightStart B is much better (IMO) than Singapore 1AB.  The rest of Singapore is great, but just like you've discovered, RS is better at introducing math topics to young children.  I'd either keep doing what you're doing, or just use RS B for 1st grade level math and then switch back to Singapore for 2A.

There is no Home Instructor's Guide for Singapore US Edition--there is a teacher's manual geared to the teacher with a classroom full of kids and (I understand) it has a high price. The Standards Edition has a reasonably priced HIG for home schoolers, which I highly recommend. It is reason enough to prefer the Standards Edition--just order it directly from the publisher. If you like the U.S. edition that you have seen locally, the Standards Edition is not significantly different--the topics are just in a different order (and in some cases, in different years). 

I used Signapore Essential kindergarten and started 1A with my kids. I like some things about 1A but I think for some topics it moves on a little fast and with not enough practice at least for my kids. 1A has more instruction then the kindergarten workbooks but I still feel like it is missing something. I was thinking of giving Right Start B a try. It sounds like something I would like and would be fun for them but the cost is more then I wanted to spend. I do want something that goes over place value pretty early and uses games that are laid out for me to practice addition and subtraction.

There is no Home Instructor's Guide for Singapore US Edition--there is a teacher's manual geared to the teacher with a classroom full of kids and (I understand) it has a high price.

Untrue. There is a U.S. ed. HIG that is reasonably priced (Singaporemath.com sells them for $17.50 each). It just isn't all that helpful IMHO. That's why I switched over to the Standards ed.