Menu

DVDs for little ones?

embalee

Do you allow your children under three to watch educational DVDs? If so, what do you like?

My daughter will be two in June and I'm thinking of using a couple of DVDs very sparingly over the summer, if there are good quality options. Too soon for Leap Frog Letter Factory?

She's nineteen months now and she has watched that "Too Cute" show with litters of puppies and kittens a few times a week. (Like a lot of little ones, she loves animals.) We do read constantly but I'm having another baby in March and I'm trying to think of things to add to the routine.

I tried a few, but it wasn't great for my kids.  One would not watch at all (she has vision issues), and the other would get sucked into the screen, LOL.  But all kids are different.

The first ones I recall being useful were some preschool song videos.

My kids did watch the Wizard of Oz around their 2nd birthdays, and it did hold the attention of one kid.  ;)

We don't use DVDs much, but we do use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and youTube.  We really like the Leapfrog Letter Factory, but I've also found Little Bear to be very child appropriate, as well as Blues Clues and Magic Schoolbus and Liberty's Kids (although the latter two are better for 4+).  Oh, and Daniel Tiger has been great as well.  My oldest dd is autistic and actually seems to learn a lot about good social interactions from some of these shows, so I'm fairly picky when it comes to shows but I also know that there are different ways they could be considered educational.  My girls all love the Life and Planet Earth DVDs too.

Oh, and one of our favorite lesser-known shows is called Cosmic Kids and it is on YouTube (like, developed for YouTube, not illegally put there).  It is an adorable kids yoga/exercise show where the host tells a story with lots of actions.  They just published their first DVD but they have all of those plus more on their YouTube channel.

Definitely not too soon for Letter Factory! We didn't do any TV for my DD before she turned 2, but started with that video and Numbers Ahoy when she was 24 months. She already knew all her letters and numbers up to 10, but Letter Factory taught her the letter sounds (with my help, I didn't just sit her in front of the vids) by 25 months, and helped teach her what the numbers actually meant. I think a lot of the reason she was so drawn to them was that she'd had so little exposure to TV before that, it seemed like magic to her and she drank it all in.

Signing Time

Leap Frog Letter Factory

They Might Be Giants - Here Come the ABCs, 123s & Science

Richard Scarry's Best ____ Video Ever series (OOP but at many libraries)

Preschool Prep Letters and Numbers <!-- Never watched these here, but we LOVE the sight words and blends and digraphs so I bet they're great-->

Currently, I have a 5yo, a 3yo and a 2yo, all boys. Here is what they watch:

Netflix

• Daniel Tiger
  • Super Why
  • LeapFrog (they have several titles available for streaming)
  • Dinosaur Train
  • Handy Manny
  • Fireman Sam
  • Word Girl

Amazon Prime

• Chuggington
  • Thomas the Train
  • Reading Rainbow
  • Sesame Street
  • A ton of other stuff that I don't keep track off these days. That's DH's job now.

YouTube

• Gigglebellies channel
  • KidsTV123 Channel
  • Go Diego Go in Spanish
  • Children's songs in Spanish
  • Mommy's old school theme song playlist
  • Yo Gabba Gabba songs
  • Baby Einstein videos
  • Seeds Family Worship videos (save these for naptime. also have the CDs.)
  • The Rizers videos (cool Christian music videos for kiddos)

I don't do DVDs much anymore because my kids are not gentle with them. I've also found that there are many good resources online, free and paid, if you are willing and able to seek them out.