Menu

can someone look at my daughters schedule?

I was wondering if someone could take the time to look at my daughters schedule and tell me if you think she is doing enough.  Believe it or not, she has said she feels guilty because all her other friends are so much busier than she it and has more homework.  She is extremely bright and seems to finish her work quickly.

She is in 11th grade.  She plans to attend college, but will most likely attend the community college to get the required courses first.

Pre Calculus:  Math U See

History:  Using American, A Narrative History, Lies my Teacher told me, and videos at

She may take AP or CLEP test at the end of the year.

Psychology:  local community college

French 3:  Potter School

Science:  Althletic Training type of class at Landry Academey

Literature:  selected literature that I assign:  She finish a college English course at local community college sememster.

Bible:  selected lit. and bible reading.  She also attends a weekly high school group, church 1 weekly, and is involved in Student Leadership Team 2 times month.  Also does 1 month high school get together at church

Guitar:  Teaching guitar lessons weekly, plays monthly (all day) for childrens worship, and plays about 2 times per month at her high school life group.  Practices on her own 4-5 times per week.

She is involved in Swim Team, which meets 6 times per week for practice.  Meets vary from 2 times per month or so.w

She also attends various outings from church groups, which we don't "count".

I know she needs writing with her history, which she will begin to do.

Thanks for any feedback

pj

The class is called Athletic Training / Exercise Physiology / Sports Medicine I

This is a course for students who are interested in how the body adapts to exercise and how to heal the body. We will include anatomy and exercise physiology, nutrition, psychology, strength and conditioning,  as well as the prevention, treatment (including wrapping) and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.  If you would like to learn about the body and how to improve it - take this course!

She is doing a lot of body memorization-bones etc.  I hadn't thought about it as far as college goes.  I should look into that.

Thanks for taking a look!!

pam

Thanks for the details.

I would be very hesitant to use this course as a core science.

It is probably a great course as an elective, or for a student who wants to go into physical therapy/nursing. I'd find it OK for a student who has already done physics, chemistry and biology - but I would be careful that not all her science courses are something of this kind.

Also, the course description is a bit vague and does not give enough information to determine how much of this class is actually science, and how much is other stuff (I do not consider wrapping of athletic injuries to be science, and strengths&conditioning is usually very empirical and not exactly scientific either)

I agree with Regentrude, the science course sounds like a wonderful elective, but not a core class.

Are you planning on giving credit for Bible? The reason I ask is that some universities will not allow that. Some do, some do not. It's a hit or miss kind of thing. So, if you are awarding credit, make sure that her total number of credits not including Bible will be enough to meet the state diploma requirements. My sister, a graduate of a private, parochial high school, was fortunate enough her senior year to find out that her credits of Old and New Testament were not going to count at the secular LAC she wanted to attend. She was able to quickly add a couple of electives through dual enrollment. She was shy about telling the school, and unfortunately, one of the boys she graduated with was declined at the school he most wanted to attend, and the admin he questioned told him this was the reason...insufficient high school credits...religious classes at parochial schools were disallowed. She felt bad about not telling the other kids in her graduating class.

So just do your homework and make sure you adjust the transcript, or fill in with one more core or elective if necessary. Just do your research now and plan accordingly.

Dd is doing Athletic Training/Sports Medicine this year (not with Landry). She did Biology too and counted AT as a science elective. She'll do the same next year taking Chem and Nutrition. Ds did Forensic Science this year and didn't do another science, but he will have 3 years of core science classes with labs to put with it and wants to be an English major :). My dd wants to be an ATC, so she is loving the AT course, but I don't think it works for a core science.

The only other thing I would mention is that MUS is light. Ds switched from MUS after getting a little ways into Algebra 2. Dd used it through pre-algebra, switched for Algebra, and is using it for the last time for Geometry. We love the program and I don't want to cast dispersions, but if she is feeling like her load is light, switching up to a more challenging math class could benefit her in the long run.