Menu

Horse search update

Well, the great horse search continues. Here are the current possibilities:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1168310 He is close to us and my instructor has seen this horse in shows. Has TONS of show experience and some trail. Owner says he would be great for my girls to ride alone in the arena. Hoping to see him Thursday or Friday.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1141320 Trail and show experience. He is 2 1/2 hours away though. I am waiting on a video of him. He has been owned by a mentally impaired young man so that bodes well for timid me and my 3 special needs kids.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1165480 My 12 year old's dream of Freisian. He has TONS of trail miles and camping overnights. He just seems so stocky to me. Not sure if the girls could ride him alone but he would certainly carry stocky me with no problems. I hope to see him Friday or Saturday.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1165108 This is the one we are seeing on Friday. He also sounds very good and is cheaper than the others. Her now 8 year old has moved up to a roping horse with more speed and agility. He has some show experience and lots of trail experience.

These are the top runners right now. I need 1 horse for myself, mostly for trails but maybe some fun shows---like the 30 and over walk/trot classes, etc. Then we need something very calm for my girls to play with in the pasture/arena, maybe show leadline classes, and then be able to be ponied on the trails and/or used for 20ds to ride on the trails.

Any comments on these?

My Arabs have Morafic in their bloodlines.

So is Morafic a good blood line? I know NOTHING about Arab bloodlines. Does he look good for a 19 year old Arab? She can't get any other pictures emailed to me but I will contact the previous owner to see if they have any.

How much riding does a well cared for 19 year old Arab have left in them?

This horse really does sound awesome. The current owner is selling as she was in an abusive relationship and had to move and leave her farm behind. She can't afford to board all of her horses. She bought him 8 years ago, her kids learned to ride/show on him. Then she sold him to another local family that had him for 4 years and their 2 kids learned to ride/show on him. When they outgrew him the first owner bought him back but is now on these hard times.

The current owner is a certified therapeutic riding instructor so she KNOWS special needs kids and said that he would be great for my girls with their special needs. She said they could even ride him bareback. She has also offered to come and give us several lessons on him so that we learn his particular cues, etc.

I also found out that he does have quite a bit of trail experience behind him and will blaze his own trails if asked.

The plan is to see him Saturday if the roads clear.

Wow! Sounds really nice! I am not an arab owner... but I hear (and I could be wrong) that arabs generally keep going strong for a long time. :) They must be pretty tough to do so well in endurance.

Of course, mustangs are supposed to be tough too, and mine is my "problem child" with all his issues. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the search!

UPDATE: I saw Cash today. He was the perfect height for me. His personality was to die for. He had wonderful kind eyes, but he seemed VERY overweight.

His back was like a table top--FLAT--not just stocky. There is no way my full quarterhorse bar saddle would fit him. Even a draft horse saddle would likely not fit him as his back is SOOOOO wide. I dont' think it was all his build but more that he is an easy keeper and on a round bale full time.

The owner rode him out in the snow drifts and he was PERFECT for her--but even her saddle was slipping some---no withers and very round horses are hard to fit saddles to. My girls each took a brief ride on him but I didn't get on as I was worried about the saddle slipping when I got on.

I would have loaded him up in my trailer though if I knew it was just a weight issue that diet could change. I just worry about founder and other weight related issues.

He sure had a nice calm personality though. He was really wider even then the picture shows.

Well, the great horse search continues. Here are the current possibilities:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1165480 My 12 year old's dream of Freisian. He has TONS of trail miles and camping overnights. He just seems so stocky to me. Not sure if the girls could ride him alone but he would certainly carry stocky me with no problems. I hope to see him Friday or Saturday.