Menu

Anyone see the trailer for The Tale of Despereaux

I'm afraid I was *deeply* disappointed in the trailer. (Not sure if the one I saw is the one you linked -- I haven't clicked yet.) What I saw was *pretty*, but seemed to have little if any relation to the book (which I love dearly). It looked like they had taken the name of the main character, the fact that he's a mouse and has large ears, and from that created exactly the same story that all animated movies are.

I would love to find out that it has *not* lost all those themes of loss and redemption, perfidy and loyalty, light and darkness, honor and despair... Only to replace them with "it's okay to be different". But that's sure what it *looked* like to me.

I *want* this movie to be as wonderful and profound as the book. But I fear.

I saw it last night, it looks so beautiful, can't wait. :001_smile:

Trailer

When I was calling in dc to see the ad, they said, "oh, yeah, we saw it at the theater when we went to the Wall-E (?) movie."

I was surprised they didn't mention it, we love that story, so much more complex and beautiful than the typical youth fiction. Now I'm off to see your link.

I'm afraid I was *deeply* disappointed in the trailer. (Not sure if the one I saw is the one you linked -- I haven't clicked yet.) What I saw was *pretty*, but seemed to have little if any relation to the book (which I love dearly). It looked like they had taken the name of the main character, the fact that he's a mouse and has large ears, and from that created exactly the same story that all animated movies are.

I would love to find out that it has *not* lost all those themes of loss and redemption, perfidy and loyalty, light and darkness, honor and despair... Only to replace them with "it's okay to be different". But that's sure what it *looked* like to me.

Or the alternate theme of, "Follow your dreams no matter how far-fetched". Yep, I'm nervous, too. Where is Chiaroscuro? The animation always sucks me in, though, and it is only after I leave the theater that I feel angry and manipulated. Maybe I need to take it a little less seriously, ya think? I still haven't seen Prince Caspian after what the kids told me. I know I can't hold out forever.

We have been disappointed in so many of the movies made from bks we love, that I really hesitate to go to any more. Thankfully we waited till The Spiderwick Chronicles was on dvd after that mess of a movie, The Golden Compass. All I can say is... yuck. Maybe if they totally change it and make something completely new, It might work. Somehow I doubt it. :glare:

:001_smile: This makes me smile because I hate it when they change the themes of my favorite books. I haven't seen the trailer yet, but I was SOOOO mad when they made the latest version of A Little Princess into a "all girls are princesses" theme!! :glare: They missed it!!

...I was SOOOO mad when they made the latest version of A Little Princess into a "all girls are princesses" theme!! :glare: They missed it!!

You know, I struggle when it comes to that movie. As a *movie*, taken entirely on its own, it really is well-made. It's entertaining, it's beautiful...

*But*, as you say, they took a really wonderful book and twisted its main theme completely around. So as an adaptation, it infuriates me. But unlike so many other adaptations, the movie itself is *good*. ... If one can separate it out from the book... So I can't dismiss it entirely. lol. So frustrating! :)