Menu

Nice, illustrated, poetry book for a 1st grader?

My daughter has glommed on to poetry memorization in a way that I never expected... she loves it, and is surreally good at it (meanwhile, her mother only vaguely remembers the cell phone number she's had for 5 years...).  We've worked out a deal where we alternate picking poems, and she's having a lot of fun with that.

We have a bunch of books of children's poetry, but she really only enjoys looking through the ones that have lots of pretty illustrations.  She's still a fairly early reader, so I think that's pretty normal: she has to have some level of investment in a poem before working on reading it (especially since even children's poetry tends to use more complicated words and grammar than the early chapter books she reads.) 

Right now her favorite poetry book is Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young, which is a board book but full of well-chosen children's poems that are perfect for memorization.  She also likes the Usborne Book of Poems for Young Children.

Does anyone have any favorite volumes of children's poetry that are similar?  She's just not really into perusing Shel Silverstein, or the Random House Book of Children's Poetry, or other ones with more simple line drawings.  I know she'll get there eventually, so I'm not worried and have no interest in forcing it.  I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite volume of poetry that's as interesting for a 6 year old girl to page through as the poetry inside is high quality and worthy of memorizing.

In addition to the Family of Poems book mentioned above, Caroline Kennedy has a newer one that's geared more toward poetry memorization. Both are beautiful, illustrated by Jon Muth (Zen Shorts).

The Barefoot Book of Classic Poetry is also a gorgeous children's volume.

Sing a Song of Popcorn 

Poetry for Young People series

Childcraft Encyclopedia's have nice poetry books...you can often find these individually used on Ebay or similar sites or at thrift stores

Poetry Speaks--there are quite a few silly poems in this one.

Also, there are picture books of individual poems...We have Stopping By Woods by Susan Jeffers, Paul Revere's Ride by Ted Rand, as well as a Jabberwocky one.  I'm sure there are many more books like these!