Menu

Math Mammoth for 3rd-6th: switch to updated/revised or stay the course?

Tardis Girl

I've been looking over the updates to the Math Mammoth in the revised edition. I know the Common Core correlation is there and some changes were made for that, but Maria (author) indicates she also made revisions for other reasons too. 

I have 2 students using the "old" MM: one at 3A chapter 2 (multiplication concept), one starting 4A chapter 3. Despite reading through the list of revisions, I'm uncertain what to do. I'm fine with the sequence of topics, don't care if they correlate to Common Core (and more topics were moved later than earlier, so why bother at this point), but some of the other revisions...well, maybe it would be good to have those? 

Has anyone studied this out or considered what to do on this? Would love to hear some other thoughts. 

Tardis, I simply read what Maria wrote about this in her FAQ and then looked over the new material. Her rationale made perfect sense and I liked what I saw.   So we switched.  For us it was an easy decision and very seamless.  I think she brings forth the best aspects of the common core like an emphasis on conceptual development and fewer topics with more depth.

I have always felt the long lists of standards was the wrong way to go, as it causes teachers and curricula to teach many, many multitudes of topics with shallowness. The CCS have fewer standards per grade, allowing more focus on certain topics and themes, thus hopefully allowing for true mastery, instead of teachers hurrying through the topics and passing kids to the next grade without them mastering the math.  -- Maria Miller

I am not in the US (so in a similar boat as you - " don't care if they correlate to Common Core"). We are sticking with the old version.

I decided to stay with the old version because:

1. the busy page layout is not a huge problem for my dd any longer, and

2. after having looked at my MM files for the past 3-4 years, I am familiar with the grade-by-grade progression of topics. If I get the updated version, I will have to spend some time and re-map all those "settings" in my ageing brain. :-P

Since I only have 1 child, I don't see the point.

We decided to switch dd after 3B. Ds started with the revised versions,

Rationale:

Maria recommended it.

The revised pages are "cleaner"

The old version might have been a stretch for my dd, I like having some of the topics stretched into a 7th grade math. It is still plenty challenging,

There were some mistakes in the old answer key

I really don't care about Common Core and if that was the only thing changed, I probably wouldn't have changed...but she made general revisions and made the curriculum better...so we made the switch.

We switched for dd7 too.  Same reasons.  It doesn't matter what is in what grade level anyway, right? You move at the kid's pace.  You get to MM6 or 7 when you get to it.  

And having gone through the whole "Is it 6th grade math or is it PreAlgebra" dilemna this year I can say that having it clearly distinguished will be a big plus! 

And having gone through the whole "Is it 6th grade math or is it PreAlgebra" dilemna this year I can say that having it clearly distinguished will be a big plus! 

Chrysalis, what do you mean about that dilemma? I didn't consider MM6 equivalent to a pre-algebra course. So I guess MM7 will end up being a "true" pre-algebra course?

Sorry, that was a bad post, I got interrupted in the middle.

In the old version, MM6 isn't a true preAlgebra course, but it does include some things typically covered in PreA rather than "6th grade math."  In the new version, Maria is moving those topics into MM7, which will officially be PreAlgebra.  So it will just be a little bit more clear and mappable onto other 6th grade or PreA programs.  I hope that clears it up a little?

I hopped back and forth between the old and revised MM5/6 as she was releasing it. I do think the new version is an improvement in layout. I also agree that having MM7 is going to be a good thing. The revised version also includes more mixed review. However, if I use MM with my younger kids, I will probably just stick to the old version + MM7. The pacing is a good fit for us, and I'm more of the "if it ain't broke..." type. You really can't go wrong, IMO. But if you are going to switch, you should do so by 5th grade. That is where the S&S changes most.

Personally I didn't even know that there were revisions (being) made. We use whatever was being sold about 2 years ago when I go the whole kit and caboodle for cheap. I vote that you stay the course unless there is a concrete reason to switch. If the revisions are an improvement upon MM for you and how you are using it in your home and switching will allow you to stay with MM when whatever glitch you were experiencing was going to drive you away--then switch. If MM works for you just the way that it is, then I say stay the course.