Menu

Please give math ideas: one semester, after geometry & Alg2

Our one and only son is starting his last semester of high school.  He is not motivated to pursue any education right now, but he is complying with the last few credits we are requiring.  He is very quick in math--good at grasping the concepts and good at mental math, doing many algebra problems in his head.  We used Jacobs for alg 1 and geometry; Lial for intermediate alg.  I have the next book in the Lial series--whatever it's called--precalculus or trigonometry (can't find it at the moment), with dvt and solutions manual, used by one of our daughters.      

My dream course for this last semester would be something different that would capture his interest by being challenging.  It would be a course he could do as independently from me as possible.  It would be a course that will be valuable with only a semester to work on it, though there are really only 2 reasons for taking it (to get a half-credit for the transcript and to give him another chance to experience the joy of mathematics).  I guess I'm thinking of a "quick-moving" course without a lot of practice problems.  I haven't bought a high school math book for...  7 years.  What is available?

I don't really want to use the Lial text because I don't think it would capture his interest.  I can picture myself pushing him through it...  And how far could we get in a semester, with all the practice problems that are needed to master each lesson?   

As I mentioned, he's not motivated to pursue further education, so all we need is another semester of math to round off his transcript and prepare him for any college math he will (probably) eventually take.  As far as our budget, I could spend up to $100 on materials; more than that would take some pondering.

Thanks for any input you can give.  I'm going to be reading up on AoPS; my preliminary investigation on their site raises my hope that this could be it...  

Do I understand correctly that you just need *some* interesting math, but do not have to fulfill specific requirements?

In that case, I can recommend AoPS Counting&Probability. The book is written to the student, can be done independently, fits nicely into one semester, and covers math that is not part of the typical high school sequence.

Alternatively, AoPS Number Theory would also be an option. I am not familiar with this text, as none of my kids had any interest in NT.

Do I understand correctly that you just need *some* interesting math, but do not have to fulfill specific requirements?

In that case, I can recommend AoPS Counting&Probability. The book is written to the student, can be done independently, fits nicely into one semester, and covers math that is not part of the typical high school sequence.

Alternatively, AoPS Number Theory would also be an option. I am not familiar with this text, as none of my kids had any interest in NT.

Yes, you are understanding correctly.  Thanks--I'll look at those suggestions.  If I narrow it down to 2-3 of the AoPS courses, I will probably give him the diagnostic tests to see which subject interests him more.  I would also consider the pre-calculus, even if he didn't finish the whole course.     

I would also consider the pre-calculus, even if he didn't finish the whole course.     

Just to give you a  heads-up: part of the material typically taught in a precalculus course is taught in AoPS Intermediate Algebra, and part of the AoPS Precaculus book is stuff not usually taught in high school.

I am not sure whether a transition from Lial' Intermediate Algebra would be seamless, because the level of AoPS is very different, and the scope and sequence do not match up.

Will any of you describe, in layman's terms, what is the difference between Counting & Probability and Number Theory, either in relation to AoPS materials or as general math topics?  I am a typical public-school graduate who took the minimum of math and only 1 year of college algebra.   

Number theory deals with questions like:

Prime numbers

find prime factors of a very large number (big applications in cryptography!)

divisibility rules

what is the last digit of (outrageous exponential expression)

Counting and Probability deals with questions like:

how many different ways can you elect 3 officials from a group of 40

how many handshakes are there if at a party with 20 guests everybody shakes everybody's hands

how many different ways can you line up 20 students

and getting harder:

how many different ways can you line up 20 students if 3 have red hair and no two red haired people can be next to each other

what is the probability that you find yourself in this line next to a red haired person

a book has 800 pages and has 120 misprints. what is the probability that a given page contains 1 or 2 or 3 misprints

Effective Thinking Through Mathematics, by Michael Starbird,

https://www.edx.org/course/utaustinx/utaustinx-ut-9-01x-effective-thinking-1178

Or, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking, by Keith Devlin

https://www.coursera.org/course/maththink

For MOOCs, it's better to sign up for them both and drop the one you like least.  They do vary in quality. 

But, the price is right and they do have help forums so you don't have to be involved.  I have taken one course on EdX and several on Coursera and find Coursera to be the easier to use website, but Michael Starbird is a Teaching Company favorite lecturer.

--Janet

Effective Thinking Through Mathematics, by Michael Starbird,

https://www.edx.org/course/utaustinx/utaustinx-ut-9-01x-effective-thinking-1178

Or, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking, by Keith Devlin

https://www.coursera.org/course/maththink

For MOOCs, it's better to sign up for them both and drop the one you like least.  They do vary in quality. 

But, the price is right and they do have help forums so you don't have to be involved.  I have taken one course on EdX and several on Coursera and find Coursera to be the easier to use website, but Michael Starbird is a Teaching Company favorite lecturer.

--Janet

Janet, I finally took time to look at these.  ETA one question which I didn't find answered in looking over the sites:  Do you have to be in the classes at specific times?  

Very nice!  Thanks for your help.  These are definitely options we will consider.     

Janet, I finally took time to look at these. ETA one question which I didn't find answered in looking over the sites: Do you have to be in the classes at specific times?

No, the videos can be watched at any time, and previous weeks videos will remain up for review as well. Some MOOCs have stricter deadlines on the quizzes than others, just depends on how he individual professor sets up the grading policies.

• 2 weeks later...

Janet, is anyone in your family taking either of these MOOCs?  My son signed up for the Starbird course; I started the Devlin course this week...  and I could really use some help with the logic (already!!!).  I thought if he and I took separate courses, I could compare the two.  

Sorry, no.  I'm currently getting my butt kicked in "Analyzing the Universe" (astrophysics!)  :-)  Are the forums any good?

My suggestion was really to have your son sign up for both, to see what is interesting and at his level, but only require him to complete one or the other for his missing half credit of math. Sometimes it's hard for us moms to keep up with every subject our kids are studying.

--Janet

It's too early for me to evaluate the forums yet...  There's a lot of activity and enthusiasm...  We are supposed to form our own study groups, but I am waiting a while before jumping into one.  

I considered having him sign up for both, but he had a very strong preference for Starbird's class.  He will also be doing Life of Fred Statistics, with the option of another Life of Fred book if that goes well and quickly.