Menu

The Well-Educated Mind

lifesadream83

Have any of you ever followed the guidelines for The Well Educated Mind?

In college I took every literature class and dropped it because I knew I had no clue what was going on even though I have a 4.0 average in all my other classes.  I eventually got through a literature class however, in homeschooling my kids I want to be the best I can and I have always had a thirst for knowledge.  I first wanted to read through history at a higher level than my 9 year old was doing so I purchased All Through the Ages so I could get some of the upper level books as my daughter read through the Sonlight books.  I picked up The Well Educated Mind after I finished The Well Trained Mind through the logic year, as that is what I need for my daughter right now.  I had no idea that it was basically what I was looking for a curriculum for adults!  So I just finished chapter two.  I am going to look up some of the recommendations they made and then I am going to work from where ever I fall.  I have often wanted to participate in the book a week thing but I can't read a book a week not with my schedule.  So I was wondering if anyone would want to partake/embark on/or be discussion partner in any of these books with me.  I am going to start with the "Reading through History with a Novel' portion.  

This would involve being very frank, open and honest about where we each stood.  I think it could be very encouraging.  

For example:  I read through the timed paragraph in 1 min 24 seconds and didn't know the meaning of 2 words but was able to figure out what one of them was via context clues.  The other I am still trying to find the meaning of as the dictionary & internet do not even seem to know.  

I currently own Phonics Pathways but it is in storage and I won't have it until March 3rd but knowing that I struggle with sounding out words I am going to use it as suggested.  I am going to spend my time in the following ways:

15 min reading Phonics Pathways

10 min Working on Wordly Wise ( I have to read through the online lists to see where to start I am sure I will not like it though LOL)

10 min Vocabulary from Classical Roots ( My daughter is currently doing Song School Latin so I am sure me working on this program will help with the other.)

30 min reading the Well Educated Mind Plan.  

I am thinking of adding Journal reflection in for myself as well.  However, I will start with this and work forward.  

Anyone done this? or interested in doing it?

For example: I read through the timed paragraph in 1 min 24 seconds and didn't know the meaning of 2 words but was able to figure out what one of them was via context clues. The other I am still trying to find the meaning of as the dictionary & internet do not even seem to know.

What is the word?

Nevermind.  I thought that I had only missed one word when I went through and my husband read it and said he didn't know what "roth" was and I was like I don't either!  I just went back to copy the sentence and I was right! It said 10th of April not roth!  LOL and he is the one who has read all the greats! LOL 

What is the word?

Have any of you ever followed the guidelines for The Well Educated Mind?

I have often wanted to participate in the book a week thing but I can't read a book a week not with my schedule.  So I was wondering if anyone would want to partake/embark on/or be discussion partner in any of these books with me.  I am going to start with the "Reading through History with a Novel' portion.  

This would involve being very frank, open and honest about where we each stood.  I think it could be very encouraging.  

I am thinking of adding Journal reflection in for myself as well.  However, I will start with this and work forward.  

Anyone done this? or interested in doing it?

You don't have to read a book a week. Everyone involved in the 52 books  challenge pretty much sets their own goals.  There are quite a few of us who are reading books from Well Educated Mind, all in various stages at this point.  So you should be able to find at least one person who is reading what you are or willing to join in on what you want to read and discuss it.  I don't follow SWB's guidelines verbatim. I tried with Don Quixote but ended up not enjoying it as much as just reading for pleasure and thinking about it as I went.   Jump in and see what happens. You may end up enjoying the varied discussions about different books.   I think there are a couple gals who just started Don Quixote too.  Also, there's a small group on Goodreads, we are going to begin the Biographies in June. 

I just read about an author who does Journal of the Novel in which she writes down thoughts each day about the story she is working on.  I liked the idea and may do the same for my reads - journal of the Book.  Doesn't have to be major, a sentence, a paragraph, whatever comes to mind. 

Happy Reading!

Don Quixote has a huge amount of archaic words.

Such as clyster, as in "They gave him a clyster of sand and snow." (From memory.)

Means enema.

I don't have the book to check spellings.

When I read through it I wrote unknown words small,with pg, in columns inside the back cover. I got to two pages of words before I stopped.

I did look up most of them, I have a very good dictionary, full, of archic words.

I've seen many people start with Don Quixote and falter.

I persisted because I kept hearing great writers say it was their favourite book.

I eventually found it very rewarding, filled with very earthy humour and loaded with historical literary references that I hope to fill in over the years.

So be prepared for a bit of a hard slog through the first few chapters and some slower bits that are hard to pick up on the references.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I ended up really enjoying it and am probably due for a re-read.

I'm on my second read-through of Don Quixote.  It is taking me forever.  However, I'm busy and have too many uses for my free time.  So far, I liked it.  I had no idea it was so.... raunchy?  Earthy? Something.  I'm working hard to suspend judgment until the third reading.

Two things helped me, so far: first, I got the edition SWB mentioned in TWEM.  I think the translation is more modern than the one a PP mentioned above.  Second, I listened to SWB's lecture titled, I think, "Educating Ourselves as We Educate Our Children".  She repeats some of the tips in the book, but her humor encouraged me. 

Thanks for posting; it is fun to hear what others are doing!

Somebody had started a group on here that was discussing each of the books - starting with Don Quixote. I'm on Moby Dick right now. It took me about 9 months to get through DQ. The next several books went much quicker. I've been hung up on Moby Dick for about 2 months now...

I would really recommend a Kindle if you're working through books with unfamiliar vocabulary. I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite, and while I'm not a huge fan in general, I find it fantastic for reading books with advanced or archaic vocabulary - I highlight an unfamiliar word, and the dictionary opens at the word. That's a huge help as it is, but even better, the word goes into a Vocabulary Builder folder, along with the definition and the sentence I found it in. I can then review the meaning and usage of the words at will.

This is great in theory!  I purchased a Nook 1st release back in the day when they were $250 and that was a great deal... Since then I have read 2 books on it.  I really love books, holding them, smelling them etc.  I know its weird but all the technology out there will not get me to read a book on it.  I just can't.  Even the free ones I end up buying printed just so my kids will love books.  There is something about a real book I just can't get passed.  When I pick up super old books I image all the hands it must have passed through and the people that read it.  I am weird. 

I would really recommend a Kindle if you're working through books with unfamiliar vocabulary. I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite, and while I'm not a huge fan in general, I find it fantastic for reading books with advanced or archaic vocabulary - I highlight an unfamiliar word, and the dictionary opens at the word. That's a huge help as it is, but even better, the word goes into a Vocabulary Builder folder, along with the definition and the sentence I found it in. I can then review the meaning and usage of the words at will.