Menu

Why are unit studies so scary??

csolomon

My ds is 5 and we have been trial homeschooling since last August as he would not technically start PS until this coming August. So far, so good and we have learned a lot and come a long way since the start. I started out thinking I was going to be a very structured classical method mom, and I still am in some ways, but I have come to realize we are actually more eclectic and do better with a hodge podge than an all-in-one curriculum. With that being said, part of my desire to homeschool comes from wanting to teach my ds that learning is fun! I know that it can't be fun all of the time and sometimes we have to just buckle down when it comes to things like phonics and focus (even then we are doing the PP train game).

So, in my research it seems that unit studies are a great option to "do school" without him actually knowing that we are doing school if that makes sense. I am in awe of the moms that can put together these elaborate unit studies and dress the part, cook the part, live the part of whatever they are studying for that unit. I did trial a very simple apple study in the fall that was a complete bomb (and yes I know it was only about apples)! I want our homeschooling time to be fun and joyous rather than something we just have to get through or he can't wait to be done with. But how in the world do I bring these unit studies to life?? I've read the books, the blogs, etc., but I just don't know how to put my structured work books aside and do a unit study he would enjoy. Help!!

I don't know, but I'm here to tell you it's ok not to like unit studies. And if he's going to be happy enough with something else, don't make work for yourself. There's enough to do already without deliberately making problems. :p

However, rather than merely lecture, I can offer that people around here say nice things about Konos. Maybe you can try that. http://www.konos.com/www/

One more thing though. Do you need to teach him learning is fun? Does he know it isn't? I'm just asking because my dd thinks maths is the best, even though she's yet to develop any ability...

I don't know, but I'm here to tell you it's ok not to like unit studies. And if he's going to be happy enough with something else, don't make work for yourself. There's enough to do already without deliberately making problems. :p

Yep, this. :laugh:  I like the idea of unit studies, but usually not the actual doing part. This is because I am project phobic. I will read 17 books on a subject to my kids, but spend an afternoon making a volcano out of plaster of paris...no. Not my thing.

On that note, I do think that unit studies are more beneficial to both mom and students when the kids are older. The kids get more out of them and can actually do the projects themselves.

However, rather than merely lecture, I can offer that people around here say nice things about Konos. Maybe you can try that. http://www.konos.com/www/

One more thing though. Do you need to teach him learning is fun? Does he know it isn't? I'm just asking because my dd thinks maths is the best, even though she's yet to develop any ability...

He does well with school, but there is still always a little fussing to get started and then sometimes to complete his work (granted school is very short and sweet right now at his age). I guess in my homeschool mommy dreams I just want him to be excited and look forward to school, rather than it being something he has to do because mommy says so. 

First ...pick a subject he is interested in. I've done preschool units on apples and they bombed too..its boring and generic LOL.

Now I've learned to only do them on things my kids are interested in.

For instance this year we are doing SOTW2. We'll be doing the regular bare bones plan for most of it but my DD has a huge interest in the Aztec societies so when we come to that we will be doing a unit study.

At the moment we are doing a unit study on the Olympics because it is relevant.

Try not to pick subjects that are just 'busywork' or random KWIM. Pick something they really want to learn about or based on a current event.

As for planning them out...I don't. LOL. I buy preplanned ones from places like Amanda Bennett or homeschool share etc. I might do a quick search of the internet to find any fun extra activities and borrow a boatload of books from the library.

With the little ones I like to do literature unit studies based on a book ...you can use FIAR or homeschoolshare or there are plenty on the web.

We have done PK-1st with Five in a Row and it's lovely.  It does take planning, but not from scratch.  The manuals give you plenty to work with.  Besides FIAR, I cannot imagine planning unit studies.  Completely intimidating!  So we'll be doing something else when we finish with FIAR, but for now, it's perfect for us! I blog about our "rows".  If you are curious, there's a blog link in my signature. 

My ds is 5 and we have been trial homeschooling since last August as he would not technically start PS until this coming August. So far, so good and we have learned a lot and come a long way since the start. I started out thinking I was going to be a very structured classical method mom, and I still am in some ways, but I have come to realize we are actually more eclectic and do better with a hodge podge than an all-in-one curriculum. With that being said, part of my desire to homeschool comes from wanting to teach my ds that learning is fun! I know that it can't be fun all of the time and sometimes we have to just buckle down when it comes to things like phonics and focus (even then we are doing the PP train game).

So, in my research it seems that unit studies are a great option to "do school" without him actually knowing that we are doing school if that makes sense. I am in awe of the moms that can put together these elaborate unit studies and dress the part, cook the part, live the part of whatever they are studying for that unit. I did trial a very simple apple study in the fall that was a complete bomb (and yes I know it was only about apples)! I want our homeschooling time to be fun and joyous rather than something we just have to get through or he can't wait to be done with. But how in the world do I bring these unit studies to life?? I've read the books, the blogs, etc., but I just don't know how to put my structured work books aside and do a unit study he would enjoy. Help!!

Even if you don't do unit studies, you don't have to have structured work books for a little person who is just 5. Or 6. Or 7. :-) And really, even if you have workbooks (which aren't necessarily bad), for little persons who are that young, the only workbooks that would be even close to necessary might be math and phonics, and even then, there are many ways to teach those without workbooks. In fact, that would be the first thing I'd encourage you to do: Don't buy the workbooks. Find other ways of teaching. We'll help. :-)

Not all unit studies are that involved. Not all people who do unit studies take things to that extreme. I am not that kind of homeschooler, either, but I love unit studies.

A unit study is really only a way of doing history, geography, science, art, whatever (usually, everything except English and math skills) while focusing on...whatever interests you. I have always thought it would be fun to do a unit study on antique carousels. The Internet would make this much easier than when my dc were at home. :-) I'd do a search and find out where any were located (we used to live in San Diego, and there was on in Balboa Park, where the San Diego Zoo is), and we'd go to any that were close enough. I'd find information on how the figures on the carousels were made, and maybe we'd carve soft, Ivory soap and make our own creatures. If there was a carousel near us, we'd learn the history of it: when it was made, who the artisans were, how all of its parts were made, of what materials, how long it took to make it, different locations it might have been before its final resting spot. We'd look on maps to find out where they had been, and where the artisans were from who had made it. We'd learn how the mechanism works, and there might be some studies on different kinds of machines. We might even put together a scrap book with pictures of us goofing off on it, maps, maybe a story we wrote about it, pictures/drawings of, well, whatever. :-) And I suspect, because that's the way I roll, that there would be rabbit trails. :-) And most of this would happen on the fly; we'd follow leads, not unlike folks do when they're doing genealogy research. :-)

See? No big deal. If the dc wanted to dress up, they would. If they thought it would be fin to prepare a meal from a country that one of the artisans was from, we might do that...or we might not.

Since Thursday was my field trip day for many years, that would be the day that we'd go ride the carousels. Library research would happen on Wednesday, which was our library day. Stories and art and stuff would be on Monday and Tuesday, because that was our stay-at-home day.

You only have a little person. You could easily do a unit study, without jumping into it with your whole body. The primary focus will be teaching literacy skills (reading, spelling, penmanship, very basic writing) and arithmetic. Everything else is gravy--important, but still gravy. :-)

I've been having fun doing 'unit studies' with my DD4, although I never thought to call em that until I read this post! I love introducing her to the world, and we have fun studying different cultures. So, this fall, I decided we'd start studying about 1 country a month. Voilá a unit study! Each country has been different, depending on what's available at the library. We've covered lots of history, geography, biology, and culture!

Like you, most of it has revolved around reading books to/with her. The themes have varied depending on what's easy/available.

Japan: learned the flag.  Read TONS of Japanese folk tales. Made a couple of origami animals. Went out to eat at a Japanese restaurant. Got a child's set of chopsticks that are connected at top. Much later, got a care package from a friend in Japan that included a kimono, chopsticks, purse & money. For crafts, we made a carp kite and paper lanterns. Really super easy. Months later, she still enjoys counting to 10 in Japanese.

Australia: Lots of fun stories by Aussies. Read some nonfiction about Australia that included lives of children there. Most of our studies focused on Australian animals - loads of biology learned by both of us. Learned the flag and some geography. Painted a cool koala picture. Magic School Bus chapter book was great.

Egypt: Lots of books, fiction & non-fiction. Haven't found many animals books in the library. Watched a video about pyramids. Got a hieroglyphics set , Egyptian Toob set, and Egypt fun kit for Christmas. This has stretched into 2 months. Lots of dress-up play. Lots of learning the Eqyptian gods & myths.My DD4 is reading the Magic Treehouse Mummies book over and over, so taking in lots of facts/culture that way. At at a Lebanese restaurant (similar food)

Anyway, I've just been having fun with it. Do stuff if inspired. No pressure to fit a mold, just see where our mutual interests lie. If you and your child love reading books together, just stick to that! You can learn a lot just by reading :)  No need to stress yourself out via Pinterest, etc. I feel like I've gone a bit out of my way maybe once a month with these 'unit studies' in terms of planning a craft.  Ah, and I'm noticing a theme where I pick countries where I can take her out to eat in a restaurant ;) Nothing like counting eating-out as educational!