Menu

DVD versions of these plays/novels?

What are your recommendations of DVD versions of the following plays and novels?  There are multiple versions of each.

The Importance of Being Earnest

Persuasion

Northanger Abbey

Also in the Colin Firth Importance of Being Earnest... imdb says there is some brief nudity.  Do you know where in the film that is?  I want to decide if I will let the younger kids watch it, but I don't want to watch the whole thing ahead of time.  

Thank you,

Kendall

My favorites of these -- all clean, and close to the actual printed originals:

The Importance of Being Earnest

1952 movie, with Michael Redgrave

As I recall, this is a B&W version. (I like B&W, but some people "don't do B&W".) Performed by British actors who often acted on the stage, and the way it is shot and staged makes it feel like you are watching a performed stage play, which I think is a positive, since that was the original medium. I believe several of the more recent versions diverge somewhat from the original play dialogue and events.

Persuasion

1995 movie, with Amanda Root

Hands down, the best version. The cast is exceptional, all the way around. Beautiful, quietly understated (which perfectly matches the lead character's personality), most believable version.

Northanger Abbey

Well, honestly, I love both of these, so watch both! ;)

1. 2007 TV movie, with Felicity Jones

Pros: more recent, and will connect better with teens; also quotes the book at times.

Cons: a few weakly-cast actors; the end feels rushed.

2. 1987 TV movie, with Katherine Schlessinger

Pros: stellar cast -- some VERY fun over-the-top eccentric portrayals; quotes the book at times.

Cons: poorer videotape quality image; odd "hard electric guitar" as part of the soundtrack