Menu

Grammar question

Alice

Ok, that makes sense. I think I was thinking that “there†is a place holder for “the worst partâ€.  I was thinking of it more as:

The worst part was not enough lifeboats were on board.  

I think it’s an awkward sentence as written. It’s from one of our grammar workbooks. 

Ok, that makes sense. I think I was thinking that “there†is a place holder for “the worst partâ€.  I was thinking of it more as:

I think it’s an awkward sentence as written. It’s from one of our grammar workbooks. 

It's more awkward when you remove "that." :-)

No, in the original sentence, "the worst part" already has a 'was".

The 'that' indicates a new clause, with a new subject and verb.

In your second example, you still have 'were' as the subject in the second clause; the original 'was' stays where it was.  The second verb has "lifeboats" as the subject in both examples.

The worst part of all was that there were not enough lifeboats on board.

The worst part was (that) not enough lifeboats were on board.

I put a "that" in parentheses in your second example, as while it's sometimes left out in English, it can be put there without changing the meaning to show that you're beginning a second clause.  The "of all" could also be left in its original position in the second example.  All you've really done is flipped "lifeboats" to being more obviously the subject of the verb "were" in the second clause.