Menu

The World in Ancient Times (Oxford University set) - What order to read them in?

World in Ancient Times

• The Early Human World
  • The Ancient Near Eastern World  (8000 BCE – 330 BCE)
  • The Ancient Egyptian World
  • The Ancient South Asian World (7000 BCE – 712 CE)
  • The Ancient Chinese World
  • The Ancient Greek World
  • The Ancient Roman World
  • The Ancient American World

Medieval and Early Modern World

• The European World: 400-1450
  • The African and Middle Eastern World: 600-1500
  • The Asian World: 600-1500
  • An Age of Empires: 1200-1750
  • An Age of Voyages: 1350-1600
  • An Age of Science and Revolutions: 1600-1800

I didn't find the student guides to be very useful, but the teacher's guides had links and suggested books that were worthwhile for me for some of the volumes. I'm finding the History of US manuals to be completely useless.

Yeah, but you don't have to follow directions!  I'm planning on rearranging this a little bit, because I think the Egypt book (which goes all the way through Cleopatra) works better right before Greece, then Rome.  So I'm planning on:

Early Human World

Ancient Chinese World

Ancient South Asian World

Ancient Near Eastern

Ancient Egyptian

Ancient Greek

Ancient Roman

We'll then do Ancient American at the beginning of the next year, with some of the ME series, order TBD.

I missed the sale on these 2 years ago. Any sales now?

Six of the nine volumes are on sale for half price at OUP's New Year's Sale, using promo code 32103. http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/w/the-world-in-ancient-times-wat/?cc=us&lang=en The other three could be purchased at full price or at a 3rd party Amazon seller for a reasonable amount.

Six of the nine volumes are on sale for half price at OUP's New Year's Sale, using promo code 32103. http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/w/the-world-in-ancient-times-wat/?cc=us&lang=en The other three could be purchased at full price or at a 3rd party Amazon seller for a reasonable amount.

Do you know which 6 are half price? Sorry, I couldn't tell by looking at the link.

Do you know which 6 are half price? Sorry, I couldn't tell by looking at the link.

Sorry about that! My e-mail took me directly to the OUP page from their sale link, and it listed all the sale prices because it remembered me. You need my cookies! LOL

The six on sale (for $18.50 each):

Chinese

Egyptian

Greek

Roman

South Asian

Primary Source & Reference Volume

Leaving at full price (for $36.95 each):

American

Near Eastern

Human

For interested parties, some of the Medieval & Early Modern World volumes are on sale also.

An Age of Empires: $23.00

An Age of Science and Revolutions: $16.50

The African and Middle Eastern World: $16.50

The European World: $18.50

Leaving at full price:

An Age of Voyages: $32.95

The Asian World: $36.95

Primary Source & Reference Volume: $32.95

The whole set sells for $230 ($189.48 right now on Amazon, probably because they robo-track publisher sales), but I know OUP puts it on sale as a set, because I got the whole shebang for half off. 

The whole set sells for $230 ($189.48 right now on Amazon, probably because they robo-track publisher sales), but I know OUP puts it on sale as a set, because I got the whole shebang for half off. 

So, if I'm interested in this for next year I should wait for a better deal? 

So, if I'm interested in this for next year I should wait for a better deal? 

I searched my e-mail but I can't find when I ordered the set. I really think it was Jan or Feb last year, so it may have been during this same sale but maybe the whole set isn't half off this year...yet anyway. I feel like I can't advise you because I would hate to be wrong either way. I will say that basically I paid $16ish a piece for the 7 Medieval volumes (think I paid $115 for the whole set new), so the sale prices are good and there are many good quality copies on Amazon to make up the difference. 

For interested parties, some of the Medieval & Early Modern World volumes are on sale also.

An Age of Empires: $23.00

An Age of Science and Revolutions: $16.50

The African and Middle Eastern World: $16.50

The European World: $18.50

Leaving at full price:

An Age of Voyages: $32.95

The Asian World: $36.95

Primary Source & Reference Volume: $32.95

Do you mean the set normally sells for $330? That's all I never saw it listed for. I got it on Amazon for $297, which is the current price, but it looks like you can get it there from other retailers for a few dollars less.

Do you mean the set normally sells for $330? That's all I never saw it listed for. I got it on Amazon for $297, which is the current price, but it looks like you can get it there from other retailers for a few dollars less.

No, what I quoted was for the Medieval and Early Modern Times set, which has only 7 books compared to the 9 in the WIAT set.

I searched my e-mail but I can't find when I ordered the set. I really think it was Jan or Feb last year, so it may have been during this same sale but maybe the whole set isn't half off this year...yet anyway. I feel like I can't advise you because I would hate to be wrong either way. I will say that basically I paid $16ish a piece for the 7 Medieval volumes (think I paid $115 for the whole set new), so the sale prices are good and there are many good quality copies on Amazon to make up the difference. 

Thanks, I just looked now at Amazon and it seems that I can get the US Set, which is what I was looking for a good price in good condition, even less than half off the OUP price, so I'll go with that. 

Thanks, I just looked now at Amazon and it seems that I can get the US Set, which is what I was looking for a good price in good condition, even less than half off the OUP price, so I'll go with that. 

Do you have a link to the set you are talking about? Thanks!