Menu

Super Senior Year?

TraciWA

My eldest son did this and that's exactly what we called it - super senior year.  It was really a great experience for him and allowed him to mature so much in so many ways before heading  off to college.  He didn't take any outside classes but did continue with his math and completed calculus, the extra time also allowed him to do Sonlight's Brit Lit core which he really enjoyed.  He took a few more "homemade" classes to round out his areas of interest . .. one on running his own business, accounting.  He also ended up working quite a bit that year for two of our elderly neighbors who had some major landscaping and home projects that needed done.  

He also ended up continuing to play basketball on a high school team at a private school in the area.  We saw that extra year allow him to become a real leader on that team in many ways.  He was their captain and was able to get a lot of valuable experience in leadership and relationships with others - he had some fantastic coaches who encouraged him in this and gave him extra responsibilities.  The rules stated that he could play as long as he hadn't turned 19 before the beginning of the school year and with his fall birthday he was able to follow that rule.

Anyway, no regrets for us or him.  My dh was very reluctant  when ds first put forth the idea, but even he has said that it was a good decision. DS is now a sophomore at a private college near us, living in an apartment and doing quite well.

The girl I tutored did that. (She started college last fall.) She's going for a music performance degree, and it was primarily to get her skills to an even more competetive level before college admissions auditions. She also used the time to do AP English Language (and got a 4, for which the college gave her credit).

I was surprised at first that the family chose that, but in ten years, nobody will care whether a kid started college at 17 or 18 or 19. If there is a good reason, go for it.

Our local highschool is even offering this as an option.  The kids can take some more AP classes and a few community college classes as well.  That gives them a few college credits as well as more time to explore interests, get a part time job, polish up some weaker skill areas, etc.