Menu

Best Intensive Systematic Phonics Program?

Slache

I'm looking for the best phonics program for my children. I want to know what your favorite is, and why. 

What did you like about it? Did you finish it? Why or why not? How much time did it take each day? How long did it take you to finish it? What program would you advise avoiding altogether?

Thanks

We used OPGTR. It's systematic, inexpensive, thorough, effective, and easy to implement. We spent about 10-15 on it per day. It seems dry at first, but there are things you can do to jazz it up. My dd really responded to using a small lap-size whiteboard. She got to choose the marker color I used and then she erased each word/sentence after she read it. That made it less daunting than working straight from the book. The book also includes lots of suggestions for simple games, and we liked those. We did finish.

Prior to that, I also tried Happy Phonics. It's cute and fun, but I don't really think it's worth the money or hassle unless you have a kid who really, really needs the games (I thought mine did, but turns out she didn't).

We also did a little Phonics Pathways before switching to OPGTR. It's a good one, too. I just preferred the format of OPGTR.

I second OPGTR.  We started with McRuffy Kindergarten Language Arts and we liked it but I felt it was moving too slowly.  Also, my son doesn't really like to color and is still working on letter formation so we didn't need or like the workbooks very much. I really like the readers that were included with McRuffy and we are continuing to use those with OPGTR. He is thriving on OPGTR - simple to implement and straightforward lessons without any fluff. 

I'm looking for the best phonics program for my children. I want to know what your favorite is, and why. 

What did you like about it? Did you finish it? Why or why not? How much time did it take each day? How long did it take you to finish it? What program would you advise avoiding altogether?

Thanks

Spalding (and its spin-offs). Technically, it isn't a "phonics program." Spalding teaches to read by teaching them to spell, and it includes everything: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing. (It can be grammar and more comprehensive literature analysis and writing, but most of us like to do something different for those, just to have something different, lol.).

It works with learners of all ages because it has no grade level.

At home, Spalding will take, oh, an hour or so.

You can finish the spelling list in less than a year, but it's recommended that you go through it at least twice, one of which a year when the learner keeps a spelling notebook (which they begin doing in third grade, approximately 8yo).

I advise avoiding anything which relies on teaching sight words.

Logic of English is working exceedingly well for us too, but it is an investment for sure. I find it particularly easy to implement with my 6yo (with an 18mo and 3yo underfoot). She enjoys it very much, and rarely seems bored or disengaged with the material.