Menu

Need suggestions for studying Canada and French Revolution

My boys are 10 and we're in SOTW 4. We're just now on Chapter 6 which is Canada and Paraguay. I'd like to study Canada so that they have a solid idea about it.

Chapter 7 is the French Revolution and, again, I'd really like to study it so that they get what it was all about. Unfortunately my library doesn't have any of the books that SWB is recommending for these chapters.

I'd love ideas for: books (both fiction and non fiction), movies, any other ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Alley

Are you looking for book suggestions? What aspects of Canada particularly are you looking to talk about? 

Amazon has some good "kids book of..." books about Canada - geography, history, immigration, first nations peoples, etc. 

We are Canadian but my littles are just starting to understand geography and how city vs province vs country all works, so we picked up The Kids Book Of Canadian Geography. They are laid out like encyclopedias basically, not work texts or workbooks. It's a good starting point for us. 

Some favorites for us...

+ Last of the Mohicans movie or book.  The backdrop of Cooper's story is critical to understand Canada's makeup today

+ With Pipe, Paddle and Song book.  Fantastic adventure story about the fur trapping voyageurs

+ This may sound odd, but watch some hockey.  It is hard to ignore this as a part of Canadian culture.  Another sports option would be the Vancouver Olympics highlights DVD.

+ Go there if you can - it's close!

Some favorites for us...

+ Last of the Mohicans movie or book.  The backdrop of Cooper's story is critical to understand Canada's makeup today

+ With Pipe, Paddle and Song book.  Fantastic adventure story about the fur trapping voyageurs

+ This may sound odd, but watch some hockey.  It is hard to ignore this as a part of Canadian culture.  Another sports option would be the Vancouver Olympics highlights DVD.

+ Go there if you can - it's close!

I'll definitely watch hockey -- great idea; thank you! For other readers the Last of the Mohicans is for 15 year olds accd. to Common Sense Media. Too old for my ten year olds.

Any fiction books about Canada for ten year olds that anyone can recommend?

Alley

On my phone so I can't edit. 

You could check out Parks Canada's website, it's the government body in charge of preserving our national parks. It has a "learn and discover" section on the site, activities to do. 

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/kids/

You could also take a look at how our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is similar and/or different to your Constitution. I think tvoparents website has a cool section on civics for kids. 

For our history (in Kid friendly terms, but keep in mind our history is wrought with issues surrounding our treatment of first nations peoples not unlike that of the US also so alot of age appropriate history seems to gloss over that, but if its something you guys talk about it could be worth a mention.) http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/cgKidsAtlas/time.asp

I'm Canadian, so we study Canada in the way that one studies one's own country... It's a bit hard to transfer.

There is a very very good series of DVDs called "Canada, A People's History" -- done in short vignettes and nicely dramatized. Many things you might study would probably have a segment. There are also "Heritage Minutes" which were broadcast as commercials on TV: same idea but briefer and probably in you tube.

Geography is best studied with history, because the history makes the geography make sense, and is thus more memorable. You can see the expansion and the importance of connectivity across the provinces.

Do you want to study government? It might be a good way to teach that not all western nations are politically like your country. Do you want to do social issues and contrasts? One thing that is interesting is that we are good at "diverse interests" and finding political accommodation / compromise because we always have had multiple cultures trying to sort out his to govern. Of course, that involved power and opression too, over history, but it is interesting. Independence without revolution? Religious history... Relationship between religion & politics?

I don't know your age group / genders but there is a fiction series for girls called "Dear Canada" that is really good at humanizing the topics/narratives that it covers: always from the perspective of a girl journaling in the first person about 12 years old.

Rocky Mountains: amazing. Not like the lumpy mountains you might imagine, more like the Alps. (but not quite!) Lots of plate tectonics to learn there. Natural resources? Oil? Forestry, fisheries, quarries?

Movies... Cool Runnings? Anne of Gr Gables has a movie. Hmmm. Will think on that.

Canadian fiction tends towards the grim. Lots of people freezing to death on the prairie.

Daughter is reading The Story of Canada by May McNeer. Anything by Donalda Dickie -- we use the full Canadian Readers set, but you'd probably prefer The Great Adventure or My First History of Canada. Marshall, of Our Island Story, wrote some stories about various commonwealth countries. You can find the Canadian ones online at the Baldwin Project.

Government-wise, Canada has a typical Westminster Parliamentary system. I wouldn't say that we're "good at finding compromise" or anything like that; We did have a succession vote that nearly passed not all that long ago. I would say that we have a much stricter federalist system than the US.

Government-wise, Canada has a typical Westminster Parliamentary system. I wouldn't say that we're "good at finding compromise" or anything like that; We did have a succession vote that nearly passed not all that long ago. I would say that we have a much stricter federalist system than the US.

You didn't notice that we had a seccesion vote that nearly passed -- while other countries tend more towards armed insurrection and or civil war over issues like the desire for seccesion?

(Don't you think we would have let them go and set up trade and immigration relations with the new nation? Have you EVER seen a nation respond to a would-be separatist state like that? Just like, "Please don't go -- but if you're sure that's what you really want, feel free to walk away with a giant chunk of our national land and resources -- it's yours, with love -- have a nice country!")

Yes, if American students need exposure to parliamentary system, Canada is a good example to study.

My son and I really enjoyed these free, short videos available on education-portal.com related to the French Revolution and Napoleon.  Each video is around 5 minutes long and there are six of them.  They don't look sophisticated at first glance, but they are quite well done.  I learned a lot myself.  They tied in nicely with the chapters on French Rev in our history text (K12 Human Odyssey).

http://education-portal.com/academy/topic/the-french-revolution-and-napoleon-bonaparte-1780-1815.html