Menu

do I need a rice cooker?

our home is gluten free, so rice is a staple. I currently cook rice in the pressure cooker (7 minutes white, 20 minutes brown).

Can I put rice in at 5 am and have it done and not a mess at 5:30 pm. I work early mornings 3 days a week. I like to start dinner before I leave and not worry about it all day. When I get back from work I need to focus on my dc school work not making dinner.

My routine is to use the slow cooker a couple days a week, eat leftovers one day, have a quiche (or somethingelse I made and froze) another day. I make rice almost everyday just before serving dinner.

Will a rice cooker help me. Any other ideas on streamlining dinner?

Can I put rice in at 5 am and have it done and not a mess at 5:30 pm. I work early mornings 3 days a week. I like to start dinner before I leave and not worry about it all day. When I get back from work I need to focus on my dc school work not making dinner.

Yes. You'll need to get one with fuzzy logic, but you can pop in the rice and water, tell it when to start and head out for the day.

I'm not sure you need one, but I use mine at least four times a week.

You do not need a rice cooker. You don't even need to pressure cook rice either. It's so easy to cook it its not even funny. You just use a sauce pot. You put it on high heat and add about 1-2 tablespoons of oil and add about 3 cups of rice. You saute the rice just a little and then add 3 1/2 cups of water. Add about 1/2 to 1/3 of a tablespoon of salt. When the water comes to a boil reduce the heat to low and cover. In 15 to 20 mins, the rice should be cooked and tender.

This is for white rice btw. If you eat alot of brown rice then I would invest in a rice cooker cause it does take a lot longer for brown rice to cook. Also with brown rice I would omit the oil. It tends to make the rice taste mushy and watery.