Menu

1200 Calorie Diet

mom31257

I'm convinced it depends on body type.

It's probably best to play with it and settle on a good ratio for you. My current plan (not exactly the same as yours) works by calories overall, but grams-of-each category. Just for a place to start, for me this looks like

1200-1400 calories overall

125-195 grams of carbs

27-56 grams of fat

52-95 grams of protien

I think there is math (calories per gram) that will help translate that data into the format you want... If you want to. However, it's personalized to me, not meant to be applicable directly to other people. I only mean it as an example.

I'm convinced it depends on body type.

It's probably best to play with it and settle on a good ratio for you. My current plan (not exactly the same as yours) works by calories overall, but grams-of-each category. Just for a place to start, for me this looks like

1200-1400 calories overall

125-195 grams of carbs

27-56 grams of fat

52-95 grams of protien

I think there is math (calories per gram) that will help translate that data into the format you want... If you want to. However, it's personalized to me, not meant to be applicable directly to other people. I only mean it as an example.

The app does show actual grams as well. I am concerned about how much should be carbs because diabetes runs in my family. My body type is to hold weight in my thighs and rear, and I'm large busted. My waist to hip ratio is good. 

If I were eating only 1200 calories a day, I would be more concerned about nutrient density than macros.

It really depends on the individual. I am hardly 5' tall and am 46 years old. Even though I am fairly active (I strive for a minimum of 45 mins a day of real exercise) I can happily live on 1200 calories a day. I couldn't do it when I was 24 and just as active. But even then it wasn't a whole lot more.

I eat a healthy and varied diet and my nutrition is more than adequate. But, when the average 12 year old is taller than you, you just don't need that much food.

If you're concerned about diabetes, I'd change the carbs to be the lowest in grams consumed per day and put healthy fats on top.  I too have diabetes in my family and after a high fasting blood sugar, I took my doctor's advice.  15 months later, I've lost close to 50 pounds and have maintained that for 4 months.  I've never felt healthier.  I don't have crashes anymore.  I don't eat a ton of food.  I don't ever feel that icky full feeling after eating; just satisfied.  I cannot rave about this plan enough!  It's helped me see food in such a different light.

What the ratios should be is a very individual question.  It depends on how your body is working these days (genetics plus age; things seem to go downhill in the insulin-sensitivity department as one gets older) and your goals (e.g., trying to lose weight, a little or a lot, etc.)

If diabetes/insulin issues are genetic possibilities, you might consider a low carb/high fat way of eating.  If I could only read one book on this issue, it would probably be this one http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388772283&sr=8-1&keywords=art+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate+living .  I would read about it before embarking on this way of eating - I think that it goes better with some forethought and planning for the transition.  The basic idea involves switching carbs with fat as the primary energy source, dramatically lessening the activity of insulin, etc.  Protein needs stay the same, as excess protein will only be turned into glucose.

I have the bad genes.  LCHF works for me.  I count carbs (well sorta kinda) rather than calories.  When I'm tracking with Myfitnesspal.com, which I may do for a bit now to get back on a disciplined track, I vaguely recall a much higher calorie amount, like 1600 or 1800, and I'm a fairly petite person.  Ideally, I prefer to keep under 50 or 60 grams of carbs per day, and if I'm counting, that's the only number I really care about.  I eat more than 80 g fat, IIRC.  (ugh, why did I just eat two choc chip cookies?  why?  It's not even lunchtime yet, though those were also the first carbs I have eaten today; I start my day with fat.  Chocolate is my kryptonite in the sense that it's the one "major carb" I can't do without, LOL; I do best when I allow a small amount later in the day.)

Anyway, I agree with the others that 1200 sounds low to me, though I think the right amount of calories will be different depending on what ratio of carb/fat/protein you choose.

Eta, I vaguely recall seeing a formula for total protein, and then I added whatever carbs (probably 60 for me though in reality I can fluctuate up over 70 and down to very low, like 20), and then the calculator made up the rest with fat.  My goal percents are in the neighborhood of 15 carb/25 protein/60 fat.

I'm almost 47, 5' 6", and I want to lose at least 30 pounds. I've never been tiny. I weighed 145 and wore a size 12 when we married. I can't blame any of it on the kids because I lost all the weight after I had them. This has all been since turning 40, sitting too much with school, computer, reading, etc., and hormonal fluctuations. My blood pressure is good, and my fasting blood sugar (a year ago) was under 100. I have been under a lot of stress during the last year, eaten worse, and gained about 8 pounds more. I had 5 months without a period, and then started back. I've been irregular for about 3 years. 

The 1200 calories is what the app recommended to lose 2 pounds per week. When I enter exercise it subtracts that from the calories, so I could eat more when I exercise. 

Does any of the additional information give insight? 

It sounds like the app is working from a model of calories in vs calories out.  There is controversy over whether, and to whom, that model applies.  It's not a model that I personally subscribe to, at least for myself, though there are certainly posters here at WTM who are fans.

I'm almost 47, 5' 6", and I want to lose at least 30 pounds. I've never been tiny. I weighed 145 and wore a size 12 when we married. I can't blame any of it on the kids because I lost all the weight after I had them. This has all been since turning 40, sitting too much with school, computer, reading, etc., and hormonal fluctuations. My blood pressure is good, and my fasting blood sugar (a year ago) was under 100. I have been under a lot of stress during the last year, eaten worse, and gained about 8 pounds more. I had 5 months without a period, and then started back. I've been irregular for about 3 years. 

The 1200 calories is what the app recommended to lose 2 pounds per week. When I enter exercise it subtracts that from the calories, so I could eat more when I exercise. 

Does any of the additional information give insight? 

I think it is fine. However, you might want to consider staring with a 1lb a week loss. 2lbs a week is pretty stringent and might be difficult to stick with for more than a couple days. It can be done, but that requires a high level of motivation and constant self monitoring. Maybe try at a 1lb a week level and see how it goes for a month and then try at 2lbs a week. Or, go back and forth and see how that works for you.

But, you know yourself best.