Menu

He made it through his first semester!

AnitaMcC

Great news!!!!  :party:

Ds#1 made it through his first semester of college.  This is the boy who barely made it through homeschooling 9th and 10th grades and then failed 11th grade twice.  Dropped out mid year and took his GED a few weeks after he turned 18.

He took 5 classes:   DC Electricity, Electronics Drafting, College Algebra, Speech, and First Year Experience. Don't know his end grades yet but, he thinks he got all A's.  Speech was an 89% or so going into his final speech.  He thinks he did well on the speech.

There were a few times his autism issues were a bit challenging but he muddled through.

Next semester he will be taking:  AC Electricity, Electronic Devices, C++ programming (I think this is it).  Not sure what else.  He was to take Trigonometry... but the course got cancelled.  But he may get to take it as an independent study.  He needs it to take calculus in fall.  

The math issue really makes me mad though.  He took College Algebra in fall and planned to do Trig next. His degree program calls for tech math but he wants to transfer with associates degree to a university.  So he wants to do calculus and physics (calc based) at the community college.  He didn't take pre-calculus in fall because it wouldn't fit into his schedule (well my driving schedule- he doesn't have a license yet).  If he can't take the trig as independent study and be able to do calculus in fall... I think we will have him transfer in fall.  

We  pay out of county resident tuition.  He already paid 3 credit hours for college algebra and was to do 3 credits for trig.  Now they want him to take pre-calculus... where he already completed half of the course.

What is also frustrating is that to fit a schedule that I can drive him... he had to get special permission to take his labs for AC Electricity and Electronics Drafting overlapping a bit and needed to skip one day a week of his trigonometry class to go to these labs.  He got the approval with all three of his instructors and the department heads.  Then the trig class gets cancelled!  Ugh... it took so much time and effort on Ds#1 part to get this done.  Wasn't easy with his autism issues, but he did it and then this happens.

His advisor is going to request Ds do the trig as independent study.  So hopefully this can get done.

I am just so darn proud of Ds#1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hurray:

• 2 weeks later...