Menu

phonics suggestions for a good reader (almost 9)

dixiebuckeye

My daughter is a good reader; however, a horrendous speller. We are currently using Saxon phonics, but honestly just hate it. I'm taking her back to basics with phonics just trying to help along her spelling. Is there anything you would recommend that is somewhat self contained, not a lot of parts, and I could do separate from reading? Thanks!

I dont know if you can move a thread, but I'm in love with Logic of English.  Essentials covers some reading, but we started using it when ds was 9, for spelling - and i also appreciate the grammar and writing, just about the right level for him.  You can watch videos explaining her methods on youtube.

You need a rules based spelling program. If she reads well, reteaching phonics won't necessarily result in better spelling. Decoding - reading - is a different thought process than encoding - spelling. Rod and Staff spelling is affordable, teaches phonetic based rules and is very self contained.

My daughter is a good reader; however, a horrendous speller. We are currently using Saxon phonics, but honestly just hate it. I'm taking her back to basics with phonics just trying to help along her spelling. Is there anything you would recommend that is somewhat self contained, not a lot of parts, and I could do separate from reading? Thanks!

Phonics and spelling are not the same. Improving her knowledge of phonics won't necessarily improve her spelling (as you are seeing).

Spalding and its spin-offs are excellent for teaching spelling. Or for a more traditional approach, Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure is quite good (second and third grade do review phonics; fourth and up focuses on spelling).

Apples and Pears Spelling has done wonders here with my weak speller (also 9 and a good reader). We had learned the rules well and were using a strong rule based spelling program. Those rules did help my son read well. But spelling remained a mess until Apples and Pears. It's been fantastic for him and it's working well for his brother, too, though he wasn't struggling with spelling.

It's a teacher book/student workbook and very easy to implement. We started with a full lesson a day and then eventually slowed down to 1/2 a lesson per day.

Here is a thread on it. There are lots. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/438066-apples-and-pears-users/