Menu

Looking for an English Program

WahM

Is there a such thing as a fun grammar? Have you looked at MTC?

If you already have R&S, here's what I do with it. We do it orally and the girls take turns diagramming on the white board. I combined my two oldest into R&S 4. We skip all of the composition and review lessons. That leaves 80 lessons in each book (from grade 3 to 7 at least). So you can zoom through grammar depending on how many lessons you do a week (5 lessons a week will take 16 weeks) or spread it out over the year (2 lessons a week will take 40 weeks).

I hear about CLE a lot. I will look into their programs more.

Honestly, I've never given MCT a fair shot everytime I go to the site it seems confusing as to how it works and what exactly I would need. Also what grade does it take you up to?

What ages are your kids? MCT goes up to ages 16 or 17. I think it is fun. If your kids are young enough Language Lessons through Literature is also fun and gentle while being thorough. The author has published levels 1 through 3 with 4 and 5 coming out next fall (hopefully). We are using MCT Town level and LLTL 3 with my 5th grader and things are going great plus we are having fun!

We use CLE and love it. I bought R&S with the possibility of switching, but when I looked at it compared to CLE, I decided to stick with CLE. CLE is just as thorough, in my opinion, but is written to the student rather than the teacher, so I like it better because it is not as teacher intensive. I spend the time that my 3rd grader is working on CLE LA to do CLE Learning to Read/LA/Math with my 1st grader. Plus, CLE is an all in one language arts program so we don't use anything else for that subject.

We use CLE and love it. I bought R&S with the possibility of switching, but when I looked at it compared to CLE, I decided to stick with CLE. CLE is just as thorough, in my opinion, but is written to the student rather than the teacher, so I like it better because it is not as teacher intensive. I spend the time that my 3rd grader is working on CLE LA to do CLE Learning to Read/LA/Math with my 1st grader. Plus, CLE is an all in one language arts program so we don't use anything else for that subject.

I do like the sound of this because I will also have a younger child that needs more teacher time.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!