Menu

Down alternative blankets?

kwickimom

I like this one from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60132192/

It is basically a thin one & a thicker one that snap together so you can use it as a heavy comforter (w/ them snapped together), a medium level comforter (use just the thicker of the two), or a light comforter (use just the thinner of the two).

We keep our heat on around 59 or 60 at night (so the bedrooms are probably about 63 degrees) & this comforter keeps everyone warm.

I have used one for years.  It is very warm and (more important to me!) it warms up fast when you crawl into bed.  My King size DA comforter is machine washable in a regular machine and I dry it in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls (noisy) to break up the clumps.

Real down makes my nose run fiercly, so this is a great alternative.  We keep out house fairly cool (63F duringthe day, 60F at night).

I like this one from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60132192/

It is basically a thin one & a thicker one that snap together so you can use it as a heavy comforter (w/ them snapped together), a medium level comforter (use just the thicker of the two), or a light comforter (use just the thinner of the two).

We keep our heat on around 59 or 60 at night (so the bedrooms are probably about 63 degrees) & this comforter keeps everyone warm.

Really cool!!! 

We usually run our house at 68 all the time. I am hoping to drop it at night and was going to do it slowly and aim for 60. 

Really cool!!! 

We usually run our house at 68 all the time. I am hoping to drop it at night and was going to do it slowly and aim for 60. 

Just fyi, you probably realize this, but these are duvets, so you will also need a duvet cover. (We don't use top sheets or other blankets w/ them -- just the duvet w/ cover, along w/ a fitted sheet.)

My dh would run it lower than 60 if I didn't protest so. LOL. My kids actually use the medium thickness one in the winter -- they think it's too hot to have the ones snapped together.

The think I like about non-down ones is that they're machine washable & can go in the dryer. My kind of stuff! :lol:

FWIW, they come in different levels of warmth - something to we aware of when comparison shopping.  E.g. light, medium, extra warm

Also be aware that ones from The Company Store usually have the corner things for tying on the comforter cover but the ones from JCP often do not (in which case I have sewn on my own; JCP is typically less expensive) - read descriptions carefully.

Also be aware that ones from The Company Store usually have the corner things for tying on the comforter cover but the ones from JCP often do not (in which case I have sewn on my own; JCP is typically less expensive) - read descriptions carefully.

These clips are handy for duvets/duvet covers:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/comforter-clips-set-of-4/1010313465