Menu

Disney Infinity Questions

mom31257

Ds got the Disney Infinity starter pack for the Wii from his grandparents. He's bought Dash so far, too. I'd like to get him some additional figures or things for it, but I've not played it. I'm not sure how it works enough to go purchasing. I probably want to spend $35-40 or so. What should I get him? 

Well, with the Disney Infinity starter pack you get the play worlds of Monsters, Pirates and Incredibles.  So to go with those you could get any of the extra monsters, pirates or incredible figures.

OR, you can expand his toy box and buy a new playset.  What you are looking for is the frosted glass-looking piece that expands the worlds of play.  Those run around 35-40 for a new playset.  Cars, Toy Story, and Lone Ranger sets have that important expansion piece (the frosty piece). 

Really, any individual added figure will work with the starter pack as is, but they are limited to only being played in Toy Box mode.  If you get that frosted piece, you open up another world to play in, as well as expanding toy box capability.

I know with Skylanders each figure is a category like  fire, water, earth, magic, etc...

I assume Infinity is divided up in some way as well.  We made a point to get pieces from a variety of categories so they could explore all the special features related to each category.

*It sounds like it is divided up by movie theme such as Cars, Toy Story, Monsters and such.

My DS is about your DS's age, and his favorites are the Incredibles characters.  Dash is his favorite, but Violet is a very close second, followed by Mr. Incredible (who came with the starter pack).  When DD got all the pirates and played that world with all of them, she unlocked something really cool- though I couldn't tell you what it was.

I had been considering getting the Frozen playset for my kids, but when I saw it didn't have the frosted piece I put it back.  The frosted piece is key for really expanding the play potential of new characters.

The disc packs can be a good add-on too.  I just wish they weren't so random- I think we have 4 discs of the princess from Tangled.  And all that changes is the scenery.

It looks like your DS is about the same age as my oldest. Of the possible additional sets you can buy, mine likes the Toy Story set the best (the one that comes with the frosted pieces/unlocks the Toy Story World) because that world appeals to him. It's got a lot of different ways to interact with various toys, goof off, etc. If your son is a fan of racing games (or just a big fan of the Cars movie/character), he may prefer the Cars set.

Guest Sheriff Woody

hi, i am the forum administrator at http://www.DisneyInfinityFans.com  i picked up this topic via a google feed so i'm just popping in to try and answer any questions.

the main thing you need to be aware of when playing Disney Infinity on a Wii is that unlike other consoles only 1 player can play in the play set worlds. 2 players can only play together in the toy box.

lots of parents are not aware of this and become frustrated when they find out.

taken from one of our forum topics i am posting the pros and cons of each console type when playing Disney Infinity. i hope this helps ...

Pros and Cons

Wii
Low cost console

Downgraded graphics
No 2 player in playsets
No online co op or downloading
Can't mix toys (like racing toys with sports toys)
Different toy boxes for different things (racing toy box, sports toy box etc.)
Less space in the toy box but still a good amount to build a world
Longevity of console and choice of software in question, lack of 3rd party support (non Nintendo games developers)

Wii U
Play Game on GamePad, TV not required, except for Co-Op.
GamePad touch screen for pack switch inventory access, some like it, some don't.
Good Graphics.
Netflix and YouTube only TV service (varies by country, maybe more in yours, check beforehand)
Free online access
Gamepad big and heavy, needs charging or plugged in quite a bit.
Software updates are EXTREMELY slow in comparison to PS3 and Xbox 360, both Game Specific and System Updates. We're talking "go make a cup of tea/coffee" slow (for the older gamers its like cassette loading games you have to rewind again, lol)
Longevity of console and choice of software in question, lack of 3rd party support (non Nintendo games developers) even though its still in its first year

PS3
Smallest controller but very popular, easy to use.
Blu-ray and DVD Player
Netflix, Lovefilm, YouTube etc TV services (varies by country, maybe more in yours, check beforehand)
Free online access
Earn Trophies (multiple Bronze, Silver and Gold per game) plus a Platinum one for getting all other trophies in a game, great for collectors and completionists
Graphics don't seem as good as others, but still fine.
Single user logged in at once, only access to that users data/save
System updates have in the past broken or "bricked" PS3 consoles for various reasons, hence it's best to check forums online before applying the latest system update.
No mandatory install like for some PS3 games, however some prefer to install to improve performance and save wear on optical drive (although increases wear on hard drive but it can be backed up and replaced fairly easily)
Has been some issues with PS3 version of Disney Infinity, personally I installed 1.03 before ever starting DI and play while signed into the PSN and use a PS3 Slim (not super slim) and not had a problem.

Xbox 360
DVD Player
Netflix, Lovefilm, YouTube etc TV Services (varies by country, maybe more in yours, check beforehand) *requires online access subscription
Graphics seem to be the best
Better multiplayer experience in most games
Cross game chatting, parties
Earn Achievements (multiple per game) which have gamer score points increasing your overall gamerscore, great for collectors and completionists
Multiple users logged in simultaneously (one per controller), each user can load their own data/save*
Able to install game to hard disc (requires 5.5GB of free space), for improved performance
Monthly/Annual fee for online access, however this allows for MS matchmaking servers, allowing for MP services to last longer than on PS3, except for certain developers/publishers who insist on using their servers and close them
System updates are usually better on Xbox 360, providing you are using the Xbox 360 Slim and not one of the older models of Xbox 360, which have problems with overheating.

We just bought the starter set for Christmas, along with a Wii U.  The kids are also getting the Toy Story Play Set so that they can play in the toy story world, along with the 3 worlds that come with the starter set (Monsters, Pirates, Incredibles).  The additional characters for the worlds that you already have are around 13 here, but some stores also have BOGO deals.  The new play Sets come with a piece that gives you the new playset, as well as 2 characters.  Those are 35-40 here.  There are also power packs that give random powers or perks, like 10% more life, etc.  You don't know what you are getting though.  Those are about $5 and make good little stocking stuffers. 

Hope that helps!