Menu

Cincinnati Convention with a Nursing Baby?

wendyroo

I would very much like to go to the Cincinnati convention this spring.  My mom is willing to keep the kids (1, 2 or all 3 of them) for a few days so DH and I could go.  Now I am trying to figure out the logistics of it; I have never been to any type of convention and don't really know the ins and the outs.

I live in Grand Rapids, so just over a 5 hour drive.  When they say April 24-26, when on those days are they talking about?  Is there a keynote speaker?  When?  When on Saturday do things wrap up?  When do they announce who will be giving what seminars when?  

I think I would be taking the baby (will be 9 months at convention time) with us because I would rather nurse at the convention then have to find a place to pump several times a day and then have to keep milk cold.  Do they offer a nursing lounge or other accommodations?  Is the convention center in an area that DH could take the baby for stroller rides around the surrounding areas and then just pop back so I could nurse him occasionally?  How does parking work?  Would DH be able to park for a few hours, then go back to the hotel for a few hours and then come back to the convention for a few more hours in the afternoon?

Anything else I haven't thought of?  Can anyone share stories of how you managed a convention with an older baby?

Thanks,

Wendy

The convention center is downtown, and from what i saw of the area last year, I think it would be safe enough to go for a stroll with the baby during the day. There's a lot of shopping, etc, in the area, so it's populated by regular folks shopping. 

IIRC, the convention started in the afternoon on the first day, and wound up around 5ish on the last day. 

I don't know about nursing areas. I know there were a LOT of babies there, so I'd think there's somewhere; I just didn't notice because my youngest is 15. 

On a side note, I hate that you can't see the schedule until way after registration starts. I'd rather see who's going to be there and what they'll speak on before committing, kwim?

And, on another side note, we stayed at the Garfield Suites hotel, which is a few blocks from the convention center. They offer kitchens in each unit, which was very convenient for us. The walk wasn't bad at all, and they do offer a free shuttle. We were happy with our stay there. 

Haven't been to Cincinnati, but I went to CHAP in PA a couple of years ago by myself with my then 10-month-old nursing baby (and I will probably go this year, with a 9-month-old nursing baby). CHAP was easy with a baby; they do have a nursing mother's lounge that made a quiet place to sit, but there was plenty of place to sit aside from that too (it just happened to be convenient to sit in there a couple of times). Bathrooms had space to change him. I brought a baby carrier (Kozy) that I could use on my front or back, but no stroller, although there were those too. When I went to CHAP, I was helping a friend in her booth so I had somewhere to set my bag and purchases, but if I go this year, I may bring a rolling suitcase for purchases. It would have been very easy for someone to walk the baby around and bring him to me as needed. So all that to say, I don't know about your conference in particular, but CHAP was very easily doable with a nursing baby.

My kids are almost 10 years apart, so when ds was little and I took him, dd was usually willing to play with him or watch him.  You should know that they don't currently allow strollers in the rooms. (maybe some?  definitely not the small ones) They also don't want moms sitting on the floors, which is what I did when my boy was little.  I assume it's a fire/safety thing, nevertheless if that's you're style, you can't.

Yes, there will be a nursing lounge.  I didn't use it, but well I'm just not the type.  (I cover up and just do it.)  

I think the first thing you want to do is make your hotel reservation, so you can get an attached hotel for convenience.  That way your dh can take the baby back to the hotel and just meet you at specified times.  I've done the Millennium and Hilton and like both.  Haven't done the other attached one.  The Mill has north and south towers, and the north tower is the ideal one.  Has better elevators, so you get out faster, and the rooms are a fuzz nicer (personal taste).  The Hilton is awesome for elevators, though the room size varies depending on your group size and where the plunk you.  If you show up with 4 people, you get a huge room.  2 and you'll have a postage stamp.  I'm doing the Millennium again this year for the convenience of being most closely attached.  

Your next thing is that if the baby is in a stroller you have to do the elevators.  That's going to slow you down.  On the other hand, if your dh is with you and he folds up the stroller and you carry the baby on the escalator,  you save the wait.  It's not indecent (the waits for the elevators) just one of those little things.  There are a ton of escalators between the floors but only a couple elevators, meaning you're stuck walking farther.  

Go outside?  Yeah you can, but it's a busy city with sidewalks, up down, bumps.  The convention hall itself is huge.  Your dh might like to pick out some sessions to go to and put the baby in a carrier.  That way he can walk the baby and still enjoy himself then leave if he's noisy.  He'll enjoy the vendor hall.  It's HUGE, and really you could kill a lot of hours in there.  I find it very hard to get through, even when I'm there all 3 days!

Do they not have a schedule up yet?  It's like most conventions, starting around say 4 (I forget exactly) on Thursday and running through say 5 on Saturday.  Then they have their extra speakers in the evenings, including Friday and Saturday.  If you want to hear the speaker Sat., you may want to spend that night and leave Sunday.

Sometimes the hotels get long lines for check-in, so you'll want to arrive early.  They're doing better now, but remember EVERY ROOM will be sold out.  

Once I park, I try not to move my car.  

Make sure you go eat at Pot Belly.  It's really good.  There's a Chipotle down on the square, and the lines get tremendously long.  The convention will have wifi, so use your phone or ipad or whatever and get it made ahead, so when you get there you just pick up.  

There are going to be thousands of people there.  Assume long lines, big crowds, and just make your game plan.  I always enjoy going and even the years when I took my baby (without a husband to help!) were fine.  We'll have a WTM board get together either Thursday or Friday.  Then you'll make all kinds of new friends who will be happy to hold your baby if you find yourself needing a break!   :)  You can pm me to connect with the FB group.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my nursing baby to last years convention. He was around 6 months old at the time. I just nursed him through most of the sessions to keep him quiet lol. There are always a ton of nursing babies there. This year I will probably leave him with my mom since he will be around 18 months old. He will still be nursing but I live in Cincinnati so it will just be for 8 hours of so.

I wouldn't walk around outside for a walk, but there is plenty of space to walk around inside the convention center hallways. I can't speak for the hotel accommodations since I am local, we don't use them. I love the Cincy convention and can't wait to go again!