Menu

Need Reading Recommendation

charlotteb

DS, 6th grade, is just finishing reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" books. He has read all of them in only about 2 months! As you can see, he loved them! Prior to that, he mostly read non-fiction books or historical fiction. He says he would like a large series like Narnia to read next. We are reading the Tolkien books together during school this year. He wants something else he can read on his own at night. Any recommendations?

Thanks Moira! A friend of mine had previously mentioned that her son likes the Prydain Chronicles. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned them. It might be a good match for DS.

I haven't heard about the Dark is Rising series. But I'll check it out.

Anyone else have additional ideas?

My seventeen year old seconds the books recommended above and further recommends (from the dim dark recesses of her brain) the following:

The Wrinkle in Time Quintet (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, An Acceptable Time) by Madeleine L'Engle

and

The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin. The first book in that series is A Wizard of Earthsea

and

The Young Merlin Trilogy: Passager, Hobby, and Merlin by Jane Yolen

and

The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen. The first book is Dragon's Blood

and

The Ranger's Apprentice series. The first is The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

We hope he enjoys these!

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Mindy! We had read the Series of Unfortunate Events a few years ago, but it may be worth revisiting.

We have never read any of the Harry Potter books and I don't think I'm comfortable with them (no offense to anyone who is :) .

You have all been a great help. Thanks so much!

My 6th grader loved the Narnia books, too.

He has also loved the Guardians of Ga'hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. They certainly aren't the same quality of literature but are quick reads and entertaining.

Another great series is the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins (first book is Gregor the Overlander).

If he likes fantasy, there is a Christian series by Bill Myers called The Imager Chronicles. The first book is The Portal. My son really liked these but they are quite short, quick reads, unlike the Narnia books.

~Denise

My husband loved the Little House books when he was young (in other words, not too girly).

Sherlock Holmes is always good.

Encyclopedia Brown is also great for that age and there are a ton of them, all with about 10-15 complete mysteries at 2-7 pages each.

I remember liking the Boxcar Children books.

We also both really liked the Wrinkle In Time books (4 of them).